Line choices

CC25

Well,.. decided to wade in...

I'm mostly a Lake Erie walleye guy. This year, I'm going to give Ontario a try the first week of May. I'm going to replace the lines on my reels with the power pro 40/10lb. or the 30/10. diameter. The braids have served me well for walleye. There are very few topics discussing braid vs. mono here. I see that copper is the latest rage. Is there a reason I should consider using mono vs. braid? Should I look into the copper if I'll only be fishing a few days? I had to ask, because I've never heard of copper line until I visited this site.

Thanks for any info..

Bob

Bob,

Tie a 10' length of 15 - 20# floro on the end of your power pro and have at it, loosen your drags so your leader does not break, spring kings need to run and you need to let them do just that, then.........bring them back.

Copper is a whole different ball game use a special reel put 300 yards of 30# Power pro then 200' - 600' of copper you may need to buy a new reel that can hold this much line. Copper sinks about 11' for each 50' out so: 200' gets you 44'

300'/66, 400'/88', 600'/132' decide how deep you want to go and you can always leave a metered amount out for less depth.

Good Luck,

CC

Bob, I agree with Carl and Ray about the mono. As Carl mentioned simply splice in a length of mono onto your braid. Now regarding your question about the copper and asking is it worth it for a few days. That is the clinker. If you knew you were going to return to Ontario, I'd say make the investment in a heartbeat. Copper can be and is often the hot rod on the boat at times. However, if you are going to fish only a few days, esp in early May, I would say to save your money. Reason being, if you fish the bar area, you will do fine with the riggers, divers and boards. There is a learning curve as well using the copper. One I don't think you want to learn for a few days. Again, I'm only going by your own words here saying your trip is short. Would copper work on Erie eyes? I'm sure it would with the harnesses and such. But I'm just giving you my opinion about your one trip as you describe-Duane

Good info. Very helpful. Thank you.

I've been using single strand wire for walleye off the boards the last couple of years. For me, it seems to be more trouble than its worth. A single kink can cost you a fish (and has). That copper must share the same qualities with it being softer than steel.

I'll review my knots before I tie some up!

Thanks again guys.

Fishing braided line during the summer months will cause you headaches with the spiny water fleas. Anything less than 30# mono in diameter will get clogged up pretty quick.

Something to consider if you're planning on fishing later in the year.

DAN

Fishing braided line during the summer months will cause you headaches with the spiny water fleas. Anything less than 30# mono in diameter will get clogged up pretty quick.

DAN

You know, we have a good bit of the water fleas in Erie as well. I've discovered that if I put some tension on the line and flick the line with my finger, they all fall off. Ever try that?

DAN

You know, we have a good bit of the water fleas in Erie as well. I've discovered that if I put some tension on the line and flick the line with my finger, they all fall off. Ever try that?

We have a different type of flea in Ontario. That trick doesn't work on the spinier water flea and fishhook flea we have in Lake O. This stuff will clog your guides in short order and not let go.

Tim