Changing out a roller tip on a Shimano roller rod.

IMG_2516.thumb.JPG.1122bbd413540a81647d7656c5362de7.JPGHad anyone changed out the standard roller tip on a Shimano roller rod to a torpedo swivel tip? What is the easiest way to do it, I’ve never done one is there anything I need to be careful of?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would apply heat to soften the glue and remove the original tip. Next, measure the rod tip diameter to the nearest 1/64". Tip guides are sized by two numbers: the size of the eye in mm and the diameter of the hole the rod fits into is in 64ths. Yeah, weird, right? Order a tip guide and while you do that get the good brown hot glue. Heat up the glue, apply to the rod tip and then slide the new top guide into place and align. 

That's about all there is too it. 

The only weirdness on a swivel tip is that you may need to remove the wrapping and re-wrap. 

Edited by Chuck Smth
  • Like 1

Changing over to the Torpedo swivel roller tip is a little more challenging to do than replacing a common ring guide. Unless something has changed, there used to be only 1 size tube for the Torpedo tip. To install it correctly (with long-term durability) you need to build up the rod tip with thread and epoxy rod finish, let it cure, and then mount the torpedo tip with rod tip adhesive. If you skip building up and fitting the rod blank tip to the roller guide tube, it wont hold up long term.

• Like 1

Jann’s Netcraft offers a PAC Bay Swivel Roller Tip Guide in multiple sizes that is similar to the Torpedo Guide.  I’ve used both and don’t see any difference other than the PAC Bay being about $10 cheaper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:14 AM, pole setter said:

IMG_2516.thumb.JPG.1122bbd413540a81647d7656c5362de7.JPGHad anyone changed out the standard roller tip on a Shimano roller rod to a torpedo swivel tip? What is the easiest way to do it, I’ve never done one is there anything I need to be careful of?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That roller tip is a very simple repair. I make this repair every year on most of my roller guides. first thing you do, take off the clip on the guide. use a tooth pick to push out the bearing. the roller will fall out. I buy new rollers and bearing in baulk. hold the roller in place install the bearing thru the roller and snap on the stainless clip to hold the roller to the guide. check the other rollers on the rod also. if the tip is bad you will have others that need to be replaced too. do the same to make a repair. 

• Like 1