Downrigger Rod Upgrade

Looking to upgrade 4 of my DR rods this year. Anyone ever use the Daiwa Great Lakes rods with the triangular grips? Thinking the 8’6” model.

I’m currently running 9’6” Daiwa Heartlands for both boards and divers and like them a lot. The Daiwa GL 8’6” rods are about $40.

Who’s running what in that price range? I’m brand agnostic but started with Diawa GL based on my experience with the Heartlands. Open to used, too, if you got something.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For the money...the Okuma Classic Pro GLT's are hard to beat in the ~$30 range.  I have used Daiwa Great Lakes, Okuma Blue Diamonds (still have some), Shimano TDR, Ugly Stick (still have some) and a handful of others.  Save your money and get the newer Okuma GLT... they have the triangular front grip you asked about.  For the money those are about as impossible to beat as any. 

The only rods I like better were Talora's and I got some of those for divers now after using them on a friends boat.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of the Daiwa great lakes rods. I have a couple of the 8' 6 downrigger and I think the action is perfect for riggers. I have a bunch of the other actions and like them all

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tradman said:

x2

eye;

X-3 on the TDR's, I have about 20 Shimano TDR's, 7' one piece rods are my favorite for downriggers, with the 8' being my second favorite. Been using this brand for 15 years, & they are bulletproof.

good luck with your search!

john

• Like 1

For you guys running Shimano TDR, which action and length do you prefer for kings? I saw some TDR in person today. There were a couple different actions. I guess I’d go heavier since my focus is handling big kings on flasher fly combos?

IMG_9879.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 months later...

I run TDR or Talora med/heavy, moderate fast for wire and braid Divers 8'6" or 9'.  Downriggers I like the medium/light version for the extra bend and action especially when running spoons.  For downrigger meat and paddle rods, I like medium over medium/light.  I have 8'6 for the riggers.   Board rods I like a little shorter 8' 

Hard to beat the TDR for the price, great rods.  Not sure exactly what I get for spending 2.5x for the Talora -- they both work great, although the new copper colored Taloras sure are pretty, especially when paired with a Tekota A :nerd:.  TDR seems to be sold out everywhere online these days however...  

Edited by ErieBuck