splashwell to transom seal/caulk ?w/pics added

line guy

alluiminum boat splashwell needs re sealing, Should I use adhesive type product? Needs to be oil and solvent (gas) compatible. Any recommendation? Removed old caulk and cleaned up with paint thinner.

20210409_113425.jpg

20210409_113432.jpg

20210409_113732.jpg

20210409_114031.jpg

Edited by line guy
pics

On 4/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, line guy said:

jd, whats the issue? Im looking for advice. If you dont have any than stfu.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:47 AM, Fireredcannon said:

The pictures don't show up on my end

line guy,

You posted a hyperlink with a few hundred characters. That's exactly what malware and spyware looks like when spammers hit this site. My post was meant as a word of caution to others, nothing more. Now that you have actual photos posted, you'll get advice. Most boat owners use 5200.

3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200

For over five decades, 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 has been a trusted, industry standard-setting sealant across a wide range of boat maintenance and repair jobs. This tough and flexible polyurethane polymer adhesive and sealant forms permanent, waterproof bonds to wood, gelcoat, fiberglass and more. Excellent for use below the waterline, it is especially effective on through-hull fittings, transoms, bilge areas and other applications where leakage is not an option. Above the waterline 5200 is excellent for interior panel bonding and sealing. It applies without mixing, fills gaps and delivers long working times for precise application and performance. It resists vibration, swelling, shock and shrinkage to maintain a solid, uniform bond and seal.

• Like 2

Jd,  didn't know pics loaded that way, my apologies.looked normal on my computer. Now I know thank you. I think the 5200 maybe to much on the permanent side. Would like to be able to take apart if ever needed.  Kevin, I'll look at boat life. Thanks for all the feedback.

I found an old Boat US magazine article about boat sealants and adhesives. 

The best sealant in your case would be BoatLife, a polysulfide, or 3M 4000 UV, a polyether. 3M 4200 and 5200 are polyurethane construction adhesives and not chemical resistant. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:55 AM, line guy said:

aluminum boat splashwell needs re sealing, Should I use adhesive type product? Needs to be oil and solvent (gas) compatible. Any recommendation? Removed old caulk and cleaned up with paint thinner.

thanks for the info, Yes its a 89 gls sea nymph.I figured 5200 was not good for this application. Will be getting it ready for shakedown soon.