Doesn't look good for lake levels!

And being from the IJC ,I ask this , can't you guys read ? 

We told everyone to expect a 7.2 ft difference from high to low AND be prepared to live with it . Sorry if it disrupts your lives , but we have shipping and hydro power to worry about . 

Oh yea , the real reason for all this is to save the wetland , almost forgot . 

How does low water levels benefit the wetlands? The wetlands at Stony Creek in Jefferson county (shown in another post), as most other wetlands, are less likely to thrive with near-record low water levels.

How does low water levels benefit shipping?

If you people could read, you would see that most of us would rather see the water levels closer to normal, or slightly higher, but not to a point of flooding out homes and businesses that have thrived on the lake and SL River for many decades before plan 2014 came along.

A 7.2ft difference is hardly what could be considered rational or acceptable. Maybe the IJC will raise the water levels after a few cargo ships run aground in the river, or after the damage to the wetlands becomes too great...

Edited by Todd in NY
  • Like 1

Many Marina’s are in trouble with their slips right now and I’m not even sure they will be useable at all at this rate. It’s a f&;cling damm and we are in a controlled bathtub. They can bend over and stick plan 2014 up their backside. Boat for sale soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

Interesting that there wasn't any problem with shipping or hydroelectric power prior to Prop 14.  So this only had to do with back flushing the wetlands.  Now correct if I am wrong but we didn't let water out in the spring because it would flood out Canadian cities.  Then in the fall we open it up so that ships could get through without any problems because of summer evaporation.  So please Mr. IJC explain to me how your plan has helped.  Go back to the way it was.  Your plan has done nothing but cost this state and people millions of dollars.  It has not benefited anyone.  It destroys lake front properties when it is high and when it is low boaters, marinas, waterfront owners with docks, waterfront restaurants, charter fishing etc. , suffer and lose money.  Many of these businesses lost money because of COVID shutdown and restrictions imposed on them.  So again I ask how does your plan benefit anyone.  I grew up on the water, recreate on the water and work on the water.  I still see plenty of redwing blackbirds, muskrats and other marsh wildlife thriving.  So please  Mr. IJC don't tell me that your "plan" has a positive effect on anything.  It needs to be repealed asap.  

• Like 3

Guys, I think there's some sarcasm being thrown around here to illustrate the irony of the situation. Don't get the knickers in a bundle - I doubt anyone from the IJC actually reads our posts lol. 

The low water does suck though. My kayak will see more use this year, if that's even possible.

• Like 3

And furthermore , we as representatives have been appointed  by our highly respected  federal government's . So that 

Fact alone should make it clear we are highly qualified in our decision making . 

There are some native species and water bugs that were in peril . So all the high water damage and the impending low water are a small price to pay to insure their survival. The loss of revenue of lake shore businesses and damage  from high water  has all been factored in .

So in a show of good faith , everyone should get on board with this . And please give us the appreciation we deserve . We know better than you on this issue . 

Edited by HB2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

And furthermore , we as representatives have been appointed  by our highly respected  federal government's . So that 

Fact alone should make it clear we are highly qualified in our decision making . 

There are some native species and water bugs that were in peril . So all the high water damage and the impending low water are a small price to pay to insure their survival. The loss of revenue of lake shore businesses and damage  from high water  has all been factored in .

So in a show of good faith , everyone should get on board with this . And please give us the appreciation we deserve . We know better than you on this issue . 

I am appointed to regulate the speed of the Niagara falls, by the king of Spain. So I know better than you HB2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

You have no idea who I am.  Just like I have no idea who you are.  So please don't tell me that you know better me or anyone else for that matter.  I don't remember the general public being queried if they would be interested in being part of IJC.  I am sure had they been there would have been representatives from the business world and other community representatives to give input.  Where are the results of the studies that were done to show how an insect, takes precedence over peoples livelihoods and property. Please tell me what "highly respected" part of our government and the Canadian government appointed you.   Where are you people when invasive species are entering our waters and lands.  NO WHERE

And also there are more important interest that have a huge financial stake in this . 

President Obama , in his infinite wisdom spent a lot of political capital to get this passed . 

Gov Cuomo invested a,lot in the vegetation that was planted in many ofv the swamps to give cover to the real reasons why the bill was passed . 

And if the lake is to low to navigate or launch your vessel , might I suggest hiking . 

• Haha 1

Copperpin think you're missing the high level of sarcasm in his posts.

I understand that this project is going to be expanded to Lake Ontario. The raising and lowering of the water levels vaguely resemble the daily tides in the oceans, and are supposed to increase the success rate of the stocked mammals.

https://www.fingerlakes.com/news/finger-lakes-freshwater-dolphin-returns

Rusty

• Like 1