Yankee in the ROC April 10/11

Saturday:

Long time clients "Doc" and Kurt were spoiled three weeks ago catching a great class of Brown Trout out of the Lund. Last season they booked this weekend with hopes of some Spring Salmon action.

We watched the Brown Trout waters clear up last weekend, and there's been no rain run off or wind to stir that water back up. Reports throughout the week also confirmed this. Given the warming trend, and rumors of a few Chinook taken off the Genesee River, we decided to dedicate the day to catching a Salmon. We knew going in there may only be a couple opportunities at best. The water was textbook Spring Salmon water, but apparently our Salmon didn't read the same book. We had emerald green water butting up to dirtier water. The outside water was 44* and when we got into the dirtier water we saw water as warm as 52*. Plenty of good water!

We fished from 20-45fow with a 15 rod spread. All we could muster up were a handful of Lake Trout (which we had to beg these guys to hold for a pic), a drop back Steelbow, and 2-3 other short strikes. It's still really early to target these Salmon, but we swung for the fences anyway. Regardless, we all had fun while anticipating that first Salmon to hit the deck of the Yankee for 2021. Tomorrow, we change up our game plan to something more traditional for the season.

Sunday:

Doc and Kurt gave up on the Spring Salmon program we ran yesterday and let us get back to the beach today. They were rewarded today by boating all three Salmon species that swim in Lake Ontario. We had a banner day boating everything but a Steelhead.

Brown trout fishing isn't easy right now, but if you put in your time and do the right things you can be successful targeting them. We had to chase them in 4-7' of water today. Best leads behind the board was 150 ft. The baits that worked well imitated gobies.

PXL_20210411_142034406.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210411_115725727.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210411_135716222.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210411_122228996.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210411_172150271.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210410_121722571.MP.jpegPXL_20210411_153738656.MP~2.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 6

Why I admire you Rick, you’re willing to take the hard road for your clients wishes. It’s not only about the numbers for you and your crew. You guys are salmon fisherman through and through even as tough as it might be.

Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, shawn393 said:

Nice Atlantic.  That king looks like he hasn't eaten in a while. Did you see any bait moving in?

We typically don't see much bait in that skinny of water. However, the Atlantic stomach was stuffed. Check out this picture.

PXL_20210411_181842187.MP.jpg

• Like 5

I guess it's good to see those small alewive, given the lack of data from trawling last spring. I'm holding my breath on the bait though. It's going to be an interesting picture that emerges this year out on the water.

Nice Atlantic!  I would have shoved the stomach contents from the Atlantic into that King’s maw and let it grow to respectability. He clearly hadn’t followed his king brothers to the bottom of the lake because the basin bottom is crawling with smelt and alewives. I graphed the water between 390-450’ off Olcott on Saturday looking for suspended fish but everything is plastered to the bottom. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 8:25 AM, Gill-T said:

I graphed the water between 390-450’ off Olcott on Saturday looking for suspended fish but everything is plastered to the bottom. 

Ya, that's been calling me. It was tough not to head out there this weekend.