lund vs Lake O

ifishy

looking for some opinions.  i currently run a Sea Nymph GLS 195  it has served me well for several years but on my shakedown trip this year the motor decided to not run right make some knocking noises stall out and start smoking.   got home (gotta love a kicker) took the cover off and it is cooked one whole side is black and charred the coils are melted and any wire touching that set of cylinders is melted.  The motor itself is a 1988 Johnson so at this point i am not looking to put any money into that.  I have been looking at a new to me boat or a rebuilt motor.  I had been leaning towards a larger boat in the 21-24 foot range glass and getting a slip.  even had some prospect boats for it.  I am only luke warm on this though.  I do some fishing outside of lake ontario and that would end.  I have the budget to dock but the first couple places i tried did not have availability and i want to be in the sandy creek (hamlin) area.  So while going through all of this I came across a 1997 Lund Pro V SE 1900 with a new E-TEC on it  for its age it is in great condition and i had a chance to sea trial it and i have a lot of good to say about this boat.  I want to pull the trigger on it but i have one concern.  it has a much lower free board and transom than i am used to with the sea nymph.  I am worried that for lake Ontario this will limit my days even more than they already are.  There was a slight chop on the lake when we took it out and it and it handled that like nothing.  For those who have run similar boats i'm wondering if there is much of a difference in what they can fish in comfortably.  

with the sea nymph i do not fish in anything bigger than 1-3's and even then only if stable or falling.  building seas are just not fun for me.  the lund is an inch longer and has a wider beam i just have always fished out of high sided boats and deep V's so dont have enough experience in this type of hull though its reputation suggests that I would be good.  

my previous boat was a 14ft star craft and there are days where i miss it which also makes me think bigger may not be right for me

The Lund Pro V uses a double plated bottom and is likely a heavier hull than the Sea Nymph.  So if you have been happy with Sea Nymph, the Lund will be a bit more stable and ride better.  That being said you won’t be fishing rougher water or more days than what you could with Sea Nymph.  Pro V’s trailer and launch well.

I would worry less about freeboard in terms of handling rough water than in terms of rigging...bending over is no fun in sporty conditions...but that's an easy fix. I knew a guy with a 19 foot ProV that fished in challenging conditions that made me wince. I suspect that the boat is more than up to it. And they trailer very well. You're probably better off trailering this year anyway with the low water.

If the boat you're looking at is the Lund 1900 on Craigslist, that looks like Lund SSS's old boat, the guy I knew. That boat saw lots of L. Ontario trips. I thought that it had sank - I know he has a new Lund glass boat that he's been fishing from this year. It must have been recoverable, I guess.

Edited by Gator

Very good post.... I have had a multitude of boats, from 14 footers to my penn Yann 24 footer, everybody prefers different things for lake o fishing, if I could go back and do it all over again, I would have kept my penn yan. It was awesome lake o boat, I preferred a deeper freeboard penn Hans worked great for me being a taller guy. I worked on a lot of different boats as a first mate, from phoenixs to wellcrafts,penn yan was the best for me, I personally love the 2 boats I decided on my spectrum 176 that I gutted her and completely rebuilt it, and a islander 221 she’s awesome but I got hurt at work so fishing is done right now.... Woody

i fish out of a 19foot alumacraft, i know exactly what you're talking about

it is scary some days, with my double battery system, and 9.9 merc, mine sits really low, and when you're setting riggers hangin over the back, will make you think

it will limit your trolling direction more than anything else, if you troll into the waves, it's harder to control, however it's really your only option some days

I love my boat, and it's perfect for the finger lakes,  however the next one will have a higher transom for sporty days 

Just started running a 90 GLS this year and couldn't be more pleased. The higher freeboard came in right between my 17' Smoker and my 24' Crestliner Sabre. The Smoker was tough setting riggers on anything more than 1-2's and the Sabre was too much too haul up to the Islands for bass. That Lund is wider and will be more stable than the Nymph. If anything, maybe install a splash shield at the transom for those trailing seas...

JM2