Wtb kicker: Tohatsu or Honda?

Back to a few comments ago about running the kicker off the main tank. Would it be any better with a selector valve that you can turn when you turn off your main engine to then run the kicker with an inline pump ball primer? So during the run out to your spot the big motor would not be sucking fuel from
The kicker line. Just curious as my new boat the previous owner replaced a few fuel pumps in the kicker and they both run off the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The Nissan rep had mentioned that in the Northeast there a number of atmospheric condition which affect fuel. The # 1 cause of issues with outboards are fuel related. Using fresh gas ensures a more cleaner burn as gas deteriorates quickly.

Whatever fuel remains in my 3 gallon tank, I top it off. I haven't had a single fuel related issue using this method. Larger tanks are prone to moisture and condensation. I also now never fill my main tank which is a 70 gallon capacity. I know how much fuel I need for any given trip offshore and keep  a 10 gallon reserve. That way I am always using fresher fuel. Since I started using this system, I have not had any fuel issues with my main engine which is a 350 Merc. I check the Water /Fuel separator each spring and find NO Water when drained. I check it eack spring prior to start-up for first time. As convenient that it may seem to plum into the main tank,  I am convinced a separate fuel tank for the kicker is the best possible option. 

On 4/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, geoice said:

Here’s another question for you gentleman I am interested in either of these motors but here’s the issue, If we need any work done to the motor or any replacement parts who or where do we go? There’s almost no one that works on engines anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One of the members on this board is a certified tohatsu mechanic. He is in Buffalo

Have a 2010 Merc 9.9 pro Kicker on my 22 ft Pennyan . As mentioned in earlier post its made by Tohatsa. I've been very happy overall with the motor. Did replace the electric starter motor a couple years ago. Don't think I've replaced water pump impeller yet and I'd say its time. If I was looking to buy a new 9.9hp I'd take a good look at Tohatsa . I know the pricepoint is alot lower then Honda, Yamaha or  even Merc 

Just as a point of information: Nissan Corporation makes Tohatsu and Merc small motors. The Tohatsu and Mercs are not identical as they are made to their own specifications.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, nygooseduster26 said:

Back to a few comments ago about running the kicker off the main tank. Would it be any better with a selector valve that you can turn when you turn off your main engine to then run the kicker with an inline pump ball primer? So during the run out to your spot the big motor would not be sucking fuel from
The kicker line. Just curious as my new boat the previous owner replaced a few fuel pumps in the kicker and they both run off the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That's exactly the setup I use. Main tank to selector, then primer bulb to water separator to my Tohatsu kicker or main outboard.