This by far the worst spring bite i have ever seen since i started in the 70's. I can't figure why. The only place i haven't been is in the 300' plus range. That might be next. Maybe the shore fish got pushed out deep found bait and are happy campers. Many years ago this happened in sodus. This dilemma is not just here in Rochester it is from mexico to niagara. Yes the bite was ok in march, but now not so much. Lakers are around thank god to keep some rods moving.  I am optimistic that things can and will get better, it can only go that way.

• Like 1

Well Bruce, seeing is every year we in Sodus don't catch the numbers of fish as everyone else along the south shore. I got to believe we are witnessing the fallout lake wide of the diminished stocking effort from our thieving politicians.  Now that everyone can see what's happening and see what we deal with on an almost yearly basis, maybe we will all wake up

and call out our representatives and change some things to our favor moving forward!

I fished out of Braddock Bay on Wednesday April 14. Launched around 10 and fished until about 2:15/2:30.  Started in front and just east of the bay because there was warm (54 degree) water there.  But it was pretty muddy.  So around 11:30 we headed west of the bay and found a little better (less muddy/more stained to clear) water around 51-52 degrees and over the next hour and a half picked up a small coho and 2 browns (each around 5 pounds).  Had 1 other pretty large fish on but lost it near the boat.  Had 2 other releases.  So after a slow start for the 1 1/2 to 2 hours the last couple hours of the trip were pretty good.  Had to get of the water a little after 2pm but may have caught some other fish in that area because the water seemed pretty good. Fished from 5 to 12 feet with most of the action in the 5 to 7 foot range.  Did not go out much past 12 feet. - Mr Kato

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I have a suspicion that a lot of fish have followed the smelt run into the Niagara system. 

I drifted the river some Thursday, especially before and  then out past the coast guard station. Marked some fish but not much bait. Continued my search to the green can and then on out to the red can marking a few fish but no bait. Caught 1 laker drifting emeralds. 

All the lakers you want right now. Average size is crazy. Kings just starting. First signs of bait coming into the Niagara flow. The water inside 30’ still sucks. 

F63915A7-AEFE-4B86-9BC1-2083914441F2.jpeg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

All the lakers you want right now. Average size is crazy. Kings just starting. First signs of bait coming into the Niagara flow. The water inside 30’ still sucks. 

F63915A7-AEFE-4B86-9BC1-2083914441F2.jpeg

Very Nice!  I bet that 1 took a minute or 2 to bring boatside.

28 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

My opinion is something happened with recent stockings. The fish you do catch are all quality older fish, but those smaller Brown Trout just aren't there. 

Good thinking Rick.  Didn't the DEC give us fish from a different hatchery due to zebra muscle infestation in the hatchery last year?  I cant remember exactly what went on but the fish had to go to waters that already had zebra muscles I believe.  Did those strains not do well in Lake O and not survive?  

Rome Fish Hatchery Contaminated With Zebra Mussels - - The Adirondack Almanack

Edited by GAMBLER

Right after ice out I caught a bunch of smaller Brown's off my dock at Sandy . 

Then I got a bunch of Smallmouths , panfish , etc . 

But the last few weeks I have been struggling  . Which is unusual for this time of year for me . 

So fishing in general may not be good . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Traveling Circus said:

The cormorants did a number on the Sandy Creek pen released salmon last year...... maybe they're getting fat on Browns too.

Last year?  The project was cancelled last year.  

Are the shallow waters different this year with the low water?

I couldn’t believe how much green algae there is already near shore this early in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

38 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Last year?  The project was cancelled last year.  

2 years ago? I guess the point is that we've seen cormorant populations building and spending time in the tribs where some of our trout and salmon are stocked..... They have to be impacting the numbers.

Edited by Traveling Circus

40 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

Are the shallow waters different this year with the low water?

I couldn’t believe how much green algae there is already near shore this early in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The water has been clear.  Not the good colored water that we usually have.  

3 minutes ago, Traveling Circus said:

IMG_20190430_165555696.jpg

yes..... May of 2019.

:yes:.  The DEC has been made aware of our displeasure with the amount of cormorants and how many stocked fish they kill.  Every state of the lake meeting it was mentioned.  A couple years back, Capt. Vince said we need to take better care of what fish we stock at the meeting.  It seems to still fall on deaf ears.  Canada has started a cormorant hunting season.  We need to get on board.  I would by a duck stamp again and start hunting them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Good thinking Rick.  Didn't the DEC give us fish from a different hatchery due to zebra muscle infestation in the hatchery last year?  I cant remember exactly what went on but the fish had to go to waters that already had zebra muscles I believe.  Did those strains not do well in Lake O and not survive?  

Rome Fish Hatchery Contaminated With Zebra Mussels - - The Adirondack Almanack

They stocked Rome fish in more central and western basin area's.  However the eastern basin has been getting Rome Browns for many many years.  That is not the issue.  We have a HUGE class of 2yr old alewives.  Perfect size for the BT to enjoy and very unstable weather in April.  I think it is a combination of the two.  Lets not sound alarm bells till we aren't catching them in June and July.

3 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

They stocked Rome fish in more central and western basin area's.  However the eastern basin has been getting Rome Browns for many many years.  That is not the issue.  We have a HUGE class of 2yr old alewives.  Perfect size for the BT to enjoy and very unstable weather in April.  I think it is a combination of the two.  Lets not sound alarm bells till we aren't catching them in June and July.

One other thing that could be going on is they are eating gobies.  I have noticed in other clear water spring years, browns seem to scatter in deeper water and feed on gobies. ( I have caught a bunch of browns over the years laker fishing at this time of the year).  I hope you are right Brian.  Last summer when I was brown fishing in June, July and August, we caught very very few stockers compared to past years.