Planer Line Releases

I use the Laurvicks. Never had a problem with a one handed removal from the line. No reason to change.

You can make a Scotty with a shower curtain ring and any pinchpad. Also you can make a Laurick with a large paper clip, piece of rubber hose & and an alligator clip.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I have used the lauvricks and they are OK. If all your using them for is mono or short cores you will be fine. It doesn't hold a 10 color all that well. Especially in a chop. My only **** about them is if you are running a power pro tow line and try to pop the rod out of the release I have lost a few to the Lake O gods. They seem to work their way off the tow line. You can get imitations on EBAY a lot cheaper by the way. Although in using them this weekend they seemed to not slide down the tow line as freely as the lauvericks.

We go the really cheap way...shower curtain rings and clothes pins for mono flatlines. You can make 100 release really cheap and usually from the dollar store. After about 3-4 years we buy another bag of clothes pins and put some new ones on. Heavier stuff like core and copper are run on scottys with rubberbands.

I have run the Storm Jr. Thunderstick #J126 off the Smart Fish, I set it at 11;00 for Browns just as if I where going after Mackinaw ( Lakers ) But I am out west and fishing for them at 60'

Do you guys have pictures of these releases and sources to get parts etc...? My son and I are new to planer board and downrigger fishing, we have used SG and dipsy's here in the Fingerlakes. We have a pair of Big Jon planars and 4 Cannon DR to learn on this season. We are trying to figure out how to rig the different setups,should be fun...as long as the fish are going in the box.

Joe,

If you live any where around Ontario or Webster, NY, you can get them from B and E Tackle. Or from me directly. I'm sure some of the other area tackle dealers have them but not sure which ones.

I make them and always willing to help fishermen get the releases if not available where you live.

I can mail them to you or you can stop by the house and pick them up. Or as I mentioned, Pat at B and E has them.

I charge $9.00 for a 6 pack. If you want them mailed, include $1.50 per package for postage. That includes sales tax.

Message me back at [email protected] or give me a call: 315-524-2626 if I can help.

Thanks for your interest.

Bill Jolliff

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Scotty's small & large. I put short leads on them so when I pull my tow line to the side of the boat while changing up I can just leave them attached to the towline and swing them inside the boat until I'm ready to put the changed up line back out. I crimp #80 mono or coated wire for the short leads. 4 for 10-12 bucks.

Pq2IURgi.jpg