Hardtop or Soft-top

If you were looking at identical boats with the only difference being one is a hardtop and one is a soft top, which would you choose and why? Are there any serious drawbacks to a soft top? I've been looking at PY 225 Outrage hardtops and now a 223 Rage soft-top is coming up for sale. I haven't really considered a soft-top and don't know the drawbacks...or benefits. Thanks in advance for the advice. Andy

I've owned both soft and hard top boats and after finally getting a hard-top after years of soft-tops I'll never go back to a soft-top. Hard-tops are warmer in the spring and cooler in the hot summer sun than a soft-top, plus they don't leak when it rains like a soft-top will over time. Plus you don't have to replace canvas on a hard-top like you do periodically on a soft-top. Another benefit of hard-tops is the option of mounting your electronics to the top and freeing up all kinds of dashboard space.

One major benefit to a soft-top is being able to drop the top and cruise with the wind in your hair..... :yes::yes::yes:

With all other things being the same, I think hands down a hard top is the way to go. Canvas is not cheap. I spent over $1700 on all new canvas last year. You can bet that my next boat will be a hard top!

My boat used to be a soft top, thanks to Atlantic Towers, Barneget, NJ. It is now a hard top. Hard tops allow for mounting of all kinds of cool gagets on them from rod holders to radar. Hard tops also add rigidity to your boat, sort of like the top on a box.

If you are buying used work you best deal on either, but if you end up with the soft top call AT and have them make you a hard top to your own custom specs.

SEE BEFORE AND AFTER

aVQshVr.jpg

aVQsmUJ.jpg

Good luck,

CC

I too fall into the had a soft top, now kind of a hard top. Used to have a center

console with no top, graduated to an open bow with the high soft top, to an

walk around with a high soft top and now to my 'swirl with the raised hardtop.

Out off all of them, I like what I have now the best. I have an electronics'

box..cool...and extra holders. I don't have to worry about leaks or the canvas

top getting old. I think it actually is warmer too on cold days.

I have not had the type of full hardtop that some of the reply's have...but if

I had to 'swirls side by side...my choice would be the hardtop.

John

A soft top will get a better ride than the same boat with a hardtop in rough water, because of the lower center of gravity. About the only advantage though.

Over time canvas is expensive, waterproofing and curtain replacement.

I think canvas is cooler, but mine is a light color sunbrella which breathes. The extra mounting space would sway me toward the hardtop.

Thanks guys, I pretty much figured everyone would prefer a hardtop. I probably would prefer the hardtop also but that would have to be the last criteria on the list. I'd rather have a good boat and a soft top than get a problem boat with a hardtop (I think that would be the general concensus). Other than the canvas cost, there didn't really seem to be any truly negative comments on the canvas top, it's just more of a convenience having the hardtop. Thanks for everyones input. Andy

Andy, I own a soft top. As far as the canvas expense, I had mine totally done, a few years back. Had the Amish make them, and they did a phenomenal job on it. About a third of the cost of what I expected. The quality was top notch. One advantage I believe would be when traveling I simply roll the soft top up into a boot and tie off. That way the wind resistance is that much less. When traveling 200 miles it adds up. Another advantage if you are limited to winter storage, I have found that by putting the top down then putting it back up, once inside the building, has allowed me to store the soft top where as had it been a hard top i may not have been able to do so. Just something to think about. Having said that however, If I lived closer to the lake and once I'm retired, I will go to a hard top for the reasons the guys stated. At this point, I'm happy with the soft top-Duane

Duane, I was thinking the same things about the canvas. I'm planning to trailer and that's why I'm looking at the 22 footers, so if LO is rough, I can trailer to the fingers, Oneida, Otsego, or Fulton Chain. Right now I think it's the most feasible option for me. Do you do a travel cover or mooring cover when trailering or just batten down everything? The canvas top would make storage easier. What would you suggest for a rocket launcher/arch?

Andy, I do have a travel cover. However when I travel over the distance of 200 miles ( most of it on I-90) on my first trip of the year, I take the top off, roll it into the boot, and take the side curtains off as well. It involves a little more work, but the longevity I'll get out of the top makes it worth while. Once my boat is at the Oak, I leave it there all summer. I will then travel to and from the launch to my point of residency while there with the cover on. As far as a rocket launcher, I do not have one on my soft top. I put an ample amount of rod holders down along the gunnels to provide for that application. The guys who touched on the hard top, have pointed out very good areas for that feature. Just at this point in my life the soft top provides me with an adequate ride. Again, once I possibly relocate to L.O. I will be looking into a hard top for reasons mentioned- Irregardless, best of luck in whatever you decide-Duane

• 2 months later...

Chatt, this is currently in the --This Old Boat section -- under the Soft top thread-Hope this helps. Best of luck in whomever you choose--Duane

As Misty mentioned, depending on where you are located. I had mine done just a couple years ago by Conneautville Canvas- 814-587-2755. Located in NW Pa. This is operated by the Amish and they did an absolutely superb job on mine. And I consider myself hard to impress. It was done for considerably less of what a factory soft top, for I looked into it. I have a 24' Penn Yan Contender. They did the top, new vinyl side windows, weather stripped around the front glass where it snaps into place. Along with heavy industrial zippered a travel cover that they double layered the cover that has any contact with any metals at all such as side rod holders. They split the cover in 3 places in the back where I have my rigger mount and then velcroed around the posts to prevent any rain or elements from getting in. All for less than $700.00- I highly recommend them for those who would travel-Think you will be well pleased. I do know however due to their work there is a waiting list.- Best of luck in whom ever you choose-Duane

Chinook,

I guess you had to take the boat to them for a perfect fit as opposed to shipping the old canvas to use as a template? Let me know. I will be in the market in a few seasons myself otherwise I will probably take it to the local canvas guy that Mike"s is recommending.

G.B.- you are correct in that I took the boat for them to size and fit. I did it however on the off season. They had it less than a week- I forgot to mention in my post that the price also included a travel boot as well. Simply roll the soft top up and wrap the boot around with industrial zipper and travel. Anyone who knows of the Amish know of their workmanship-Top notch I.M.O. -Duane