Daiwa Saltist Discontinued

32 minutes ago, Rich D said:

In the process of redesigning this reel.

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Only thing they could do to improve it is move the line counter. Other than that, I don't think its possible to make the reel any better than it already is!

• Like 5

I think a redesign is needed. Great reel but the line counter is the only reason I don't have more of them. It's in the worst possible place for me. Whoever signed off on the design didn't use the reel :wondering:. IMO

I think a redesign is needed. Great reel but the line counter is the only reason I don't have more of them. It's in the worst possible place for me. Whoever signed off on the design didn't use the reel :wondering:. IMO
Totally agree hands down smoothest reel but anything over a size 20 is line counter is uncomfortable . I run a few levelwinds an there great !!

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I asked their Facebook page about redesigning back in 2019 and they didn’t have any plans. Asked them again today and they kind of gave a neither confirm or deny type answer. In my opinion It just needs to be like a sealine lc just built up with better materials. 

• 1 month later...

The new Saltist is supposed to be released at iCast 2021 and ship in the Fall of 2021.

The rep told me the company that made the linecounter for that reel stopped, or couldn't produce them anymore. Hence, the re-design. Take it for what it's worth, but I think the only gripe on that reel from people was the placement of it.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 2

Personally, my approach is to buy good condition Sealine Super High Speeds whenever I can get them 'right'. They were bulit tougher than anything you can get for 5 times the money now...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw the new Saltist, what a great looking reel!!! I will post pic as soon as I get permission. There will be a lot of happy fishermen out there!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Roger on the great new design. You can see them on the Daiwa website under SALTIST® LEVELWIND LINE COUNTER.  I checked a couple sites but haven't seen any available yet.

Edited by stinger

https://daiwa.us/products/new-saltist®-levelwind-line-counter

Note the changing gear ratio on larger sizes and the reduced line take up and doesn't give max drag tension. I think the old model was 18# or so

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, Fat Trout said:

I started running them last year.  great reels.  I wanted another pair of 40's and just barely managed to find them but i doubt I could come up with a 3rd.  

if your still interested in a 3rd reel check out eBay. they have a new 40 on auction. so far it's only up to 61.00 plus 16.25 for shipping. it's got 4 days left on the auction. or just buy one for around 200.00.