Lake trout rigs

There are days when too many sets of attractors shut them down. When this happens, run a “clean” Gambler Rig on one rigger a little further back and cowbells/ death trap on the other rigger. They usually come in in packs and you will pick them up on both rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tried some late spring Lake Trout fishing yesterday on Lake Erie and knew it would be tough... couldn’t move a rod so decided to try out my new Gambler rig... rigger fired not too long after and we landed our only fish and saved the skunk! Thanks Gambler, great product

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Lives in Hilton but if you PM him your cell he’ll walk you right through it. Great guy, great customer service, great product if you want those slimy poopers on your boat, he’s the guy to talk to.
His name on the site is Gambler

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lakers can be a pain in the net.... especially the smaller ones.  I don't net anything under say 15lbs.  Simply shake off on the side of the boat, they are usually pretty compliant.  People with the bigger boats don't have a choice, but I don't understand the fascination people have with netting everything, especially stuff you're not going to eat!   Shaking off on the side of the boat keeps the fish alive in the water and saves a major hassle with the slimy snakes twisting in the net.  Switching to this tactic has made lake trout fishing much more enjoyable.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I know this thread has been inactive for some time but it led me to the Gambler rigs and a great couple of days on the water this past weekend. The Hammerhead cowbells in Froggy size 5/0 and regular sized Gambler rigs in Bull Frog and UV Glow 2 Face were deadly combinations. I was fishing from a kayak, so the Hammerhead cowbells were perfect since they pull less in the water.

On my second day of fishing, I changed to a different brand of cowbells and lure for the heck of it and had no luck. After switching back to the Hammerhead and Gambler rigs, I had a decent sized lake trout on the line within seconds!

Just wanted to take the time to thank Gambler for making an awesome product and to encourage any future readers to check them out if you want to have some fun chasing lakers!

laker-kayak(1).jpg

Edited by Sukotto
Added image
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sukotto said:

I know this thread has been inactive for some time but it led me to the Gambler rigs and a great couple of days on the water this past weekend. The Hammerhead cowbells in Froggy size 5/0 and regular sized Gambler rigs in Bull Frog and UV Glow 2 Face were deadly combinations. I was fishing from a kayak, so the Hammerhead cowbells were perfect since they pull less in the water.

On my second day of fishing, I changed to a different brand of cowbells and lure for the heck of it and had no luck. After switching back to the Hammerhead and Gambler rigs, I had a decent sized lake trout on the line within seconds!

Just wanted to take the time to thank Gambler for making an awesome product and to encourage any future readers to check them out if you want to have some fun chasing lakers!

laker-kayak(1).jpg

Thank you for the kind words!  I strive to be the best in the business and I couldn't do it without you guys!  

8 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Thank you for the kind words!  I strive to be the best in the business and I couldn't do it without you guys!  

And u are the best in the business! Always a pleasure to deal with and answer any questions for anyone.   That Froggy/Bullfrog is such a killer on my boat lake trout fishing is easy amd boring now.  😂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ErieBuck said:

Gambler, I’ve been meaning to ask what length behind death traps to run spin n glow?  Same as cowbells, 30in or so? 

I like 28”.  18”-24” is what a lot of guys run but I find there are days lakers don’t want to come in that tight to the trap or cowbell.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hachimo said:

And u are the best in the business! Always a pleasure to deal with and answer any questions for anyone.   That Froggy/Bullfrog is such a killer on my boat lake trout fishing is easy amd boring now.  😂 

Thanks Mike!  It’s guys like you that post what you are using that make my business successful!  

On 6/3/2022 at 7:40 AM, Dave1515 said:

What speed do you troll these rigs? Do you go different speeds depending on which rig you are fishing?

Dave

Speed depends on what you are running in front of the Gambler rigs.  Cowbells are not speed tolerant at all.  I run them 1.0-1.8 ball speed.  Death traps , Grease traps 1.5-2.5, Dodgers 2.0-2.5 and flashers 1.8-2.8.  

Edited by GAMBLER

Thanks Gambler, I was wondering why I cant catch a cold out there. lol   I've been running UV gamblers behind #4 - 4 blade flashers at 2.7 mph.

My setup has 20 oz weight on bottom of 3-way swivel with 15" dropper; flasher connected to swivel with 2' 30lb mono, gambler connected to flasher with 2' leader.  30lb stainless steel wire from top of swivel up to rod and reel. Reel holds 600' of stainless + 200 yards of backing.

Would you or any of the other knowledgeable fishermen offer any tweeks that I should make to my setup?

Thanks

Dave 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, Dave1515 said:

Thanks Gambler, I was wondering why I cant catch a cold out there. lol   I've been running UV gamblers behind #4 - 4 blade flashers at 2.7 mph.

My setup has 20 oz weight on bottom of 3-way swivel with 15" dropper; flasher connected to swivel with 2' 30lb mono, gambler connected to flasher with 2' leader.  30lb stainless steel wire from top of swivel up to rod and reel. Reel holds 600' of stainless + 200 yards of backing.

Would you or any of the other knowledgeable fishermen offer any tweeks that I should make to my setup?

Thanks

Dave 

I used to run thumper rigs while laker fishing and here is what and how I would run it:

16oz weight on a 24" dropper on 30lb malin wire.  Hammerhead 5/0 or 4/0 cowbells and Gambler Rigs.  1.0 -1.8 at the ball.  I do not run flashers and dodgers while laker fishing.  You have to troll them too fast.  You will still catch lakers but the speed is not in their preferred range.  Lakers are aggressive but like things trolled slow.  

Edited by GAMBLER