Batteries for electric riggers

I have a 18ft aluminum and I want to install electric downriggers. Can I connect to the starting battery,  or should I install a separate battery to run the riggers.

Right now I have a battery that starts the engine and runs the electronics and pumps and a separate battery for the trolling motor.

Thank you 

Dave

I run a 16' and ran into the same issue last year. Was running electric riggers off the starting battery and drained it within a day. Wired them up to the same battery I use for my trolling motor and no issues since. Run a 12v trolling motor with ipilot and even with the riggers hooked up to it I have yet to run it dead.

I did this cause I posted something similar last year and thanks to the recommendation of folks on here I haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, dhhurlburt said:

I have a 18ft aluminum and I want to install electric downriggers. Can I connect to the starting battery,  or should I install a separate battery to run the riggers.

Right now I have a battery that starts the engine and runs the electronics and pumps and a separate battery for the trolling motor.

Thank you 

Dave

As long as the motor you're using for trolling charges that battery you'll be fine.

I ran a 19ft and trolled with a kicker no charger i ran the riggers and all the electronics off a seperate battery than the starter because i was always afraid of killing the starter.  i rarely used the electric motor but i used to keep a battery in the boat for it it also acted as a back up for the starter battery or the electronics battery.   all 3 were marnie dual purpose batteries i like the extra redundency when on the water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1