Yankee in Wilson April 24/25

April 24:

Morning - What. A. Day! Dave and his crew from Western Pennsylvania can't get enough of Lake Ontario. This is their third outing this Spring. We spent most of the day in 70-80' of water, and the Humminbird's were lit up with targets all day.

We couldn't get our Cannon Optimum downriggers in fast enough. We pulled DW spoons on our out and downs. UV Rodfather and UV Green Skirt Mags fired all day. Center rigger was loaded with an 8" DW Spindoctor white double crust Glow. Our divers pulled 8" DW Spindoctors with A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammers and Ultra Green Glow flies. One side we dedicated to Coho, and we went 3/6 on Coho. Other side pulled FishUSA Stealthcore in 5 & 10 colors behind Offshore OR-12 inlines.

Afternoon - Shawn and friends, locals from Rochester, were looking to learn a little bit about trolling. Taking a charter is a great way to cut down the learning curve! Our afternoon charter was much slower than the morning. We still had targets on the Humminbird SOLIXs, but the fish had lockjaw.

We ran the same program we ended the morning with. We swapped out some lures to try to entice a few extra bites without much luck. One new spoon that went tonight was a DW Martel. 10 colors of FishUSA Stealthcore and our Cannon Optimum downriggers, all pulling spoons, took all our afternoon chews.

Back at it in the morning!

April 26:

Morning - We lifted enough fish over the back of the Yankee Troller for one weekend! Dave and crew from Western Pennsylvania joined us again this morning. We started in yesterday's water, and after an hour without a nibble we knew something had changed. A few phone calls confirmed it wasn't just our program. Up went the Hail Mary. We were Westbound and down.

We settled in at the 00-02W lines and found 100-150' to be the zone. Steady pick from 40-125' down. Mostly Chinook, but we pulled on a few Lake Trout as well. We mistakenly left the meat at home, but the chew for us was all flasher/fly combos. Hey was our program:

75' Cannon Optimum pulled a double crush Glow 8" Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Glow Stud.

Divers were firing out 100' on 2 settings pulling Wonderbread SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammer and an 8" paddle\MC Rocket in an A-TOM-MIK Stud meat rig.

300' of A-TOM-MIK copper pulled a Wonderbread SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Glow Hammer and a 2Face SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Glow Stud.

FishUSA 10 color Stealthcore pulling a Green Jeans chip/A-TOM-MIK UV190 and a UV Glow Green Alewife.

Our out and downs were quiet with various spoons all day, and our Coho offerings were never touched today. We'll give those Salmon a rest for a few days, but we'll be back next weekend to continue the beat down.

PXL_20210425_125545639.MP.jpegPXL_20210425_133222804.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210425_133302965.MP.jpegPXL_20210424_211836467.MP.jpegPXL_20210424_155205180.MP~2.jpegPXL_20210424_111728593.MP.jpegPXL_20210424_204413907.MP.jpegPXL_20210424_144158134.MP.jpegPXL_20210424_103710352.MP.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, Beagler said:

Thanks once again for the great report.

When you say you were fishing coho on one side, I assume boards, but what baits and depths for them.

Brian

Yup, we ran 4 inline boards on a side with 2 flat thinfish, and two 2-color cores with 6" spinny/A-TOM-MIK coho fly combos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TyeeTanic said:

Nice kings! So is there or isn't there a problem with the fishery? (Just noting the concern on the other thread you guys are posting on).

The other thread was about the lack of BT. I think that's more of a stocking goof up. The fishery seems healthy. Looks like there is more Smelt than we've had in recent years, and the 2020 class of Alewife are very strong.

51 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

The other thread was about the lack of BT. I think that's more of a stocking goof up. The fishery seems healthy. Looks like there is more Smelt than we've had in recent years, and the 2020 class of Alewife are very strong.

OK good to know ... I was getting the (wrong) impression that there was something generally wrong with the overall fishery.  Then river fishing hasn't been a blast ... so I was starting to freak that there is a problem, but in the end it just seems that the fish ran early due to the warmer weather and are all back in the lake ... which is perfectly okay for me.