Leader Lengths

C3M

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently going through the process of re-tying all leaders and terminal tackle for my lead core (3,5,7,10), copper (300,400) and dipsy (2) set ups. I have traditionally run the leader lengths true to my rod length to aid in netting/playing the fish. The more I read, the more I learn I may be missing out. I am sure there is some variety in the time of year and what you are pulling behind each but in general for an angler who gets 5-7 trips on the water in a year, what is an appropriate leader length for LC/Copper/Dipsy?

I appreciate in advance anyone who is willing to take time out of their day to answer my question.

-Chris 

I like a 50 ft leader for my copper and lead setups. You have some room on there to retie a few times. For divers I reel the diver to the rod tip. Tie on the leader and then run it down the rod and around the reel and back up to the rod tip and tie on a swivel 

I run both coppers and leadcore's with 20-30 ft fluoro leaders 20 lb test and 12 lb for Spring browns. Dipsy deeper divers with 4-5 ft leads of 30-40 lb mono to Spinnys, 6- 8 ft for flashers/flies. If I feel adventurous longer leads and handline fish but not a lot of fun for kings:lol:. For longer leads on the divers I use slide divers and often one with the added ring and one without.

Edited by Sk8man

For my coppers, I start my leads at about 25ft, so I can cut and retie as needed.  Dipsy leaders I keep 6-7 ft.  Leadcore, we found shorter leads (8-10ft) consistently out produce longer leads, especially with spoons.

Yes 20 with spoons and 40 -50 for flies. I make my own flies and on them usually 50 lb Big game mono (strong enough for big hits yet having a bit of stretch to absorb shock)

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, Sk8man said:

Yes 20 with spoons and 40 -50 for flies. I make my own flies and on them usually 50 lb Big game mono (strong enough for big hits yet having a bit of stretch to absorb shock)

I'm getting ready to tie up some tournament fly rigs and wondering what size hooks you use on your rigs. I have both 4/0 & 5/0 Gamakatsu octopus for the single hooks but still trying to decide on the trebles. Thinking about #1 or 1/0 VMC 9651 short shank or Owner ST-41. Also, do you think it matters what the color of the trailing treble hook is? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.