Hook in finger

Just thought I'd give some reassurance if you ever have a hook buried in ya really badly. The mono/sting rip out method is absolutely the way to go. Had a bad one in my hand Saturday and it took me an hr to man up and rip it out. Wish I did it instantly. No pain at all and did literally no damage to speak of. 

If you ever have it happen just do it and be glad it's over with. It feels like a leap of faith but it works

• Like 2

Had a Rapala in my shoulder once and had to pull it through and then cut the barb myself with wire cutters that works too:lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Had a Rapala in my shoulder once and had to pull it through and then cut the barb myself with wire cutters that works too:lol:

I was going for that method at first but it was so deep there wasn't enough hook left to push through. The string method was the way to go. It was really awful, still had a crazy ass Atlanta attached to it when I got stuck

35 minutes ago, fisherman21 said:

I just did pliers the one time I had it bad lol. The bass was still on the front treble too. No fun

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think the string method really has some magic trick to to that gets that barb just right so it doesn't rip ya apart. It's pretty amazing

• Like 1

Just thought I'd give some reassurance if you ever have a hook buried in ya really badly. The mono/sting rip out method is absolutely the way to go. Had a bad one in my hand Saturday and it took me an hr to man up and rip it out. Wish I did it instantly. No pain at all and did literally no damage to speak of. 

If you ever have it happen just do it and be glad it's over with. It feels like a leap of faith but it works

I bought one of these kits years ago. I’ve carried it on the boat since haven’t needed it ( knock wood ) but it’s there if I do IMG_2019.thumb.JPG.5392636df52e912f0e60d3685a19c3da.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I was going for that method at first but it was so deep there wasn't enough hook left to push through. The string method was the way to go. It was really awful, still had a crazy ass Atlanta attached to it when I got stuck

Ouch! I guess most folks doing this stuff for a long time may encounter a hook in some part of them at some point. Good to know ways of successfully  extracting them though. I guess the method also depends on the part of the body affected

https://www.aliem.com/trick-fishhook-removal-techniques/#:~:text= Technique 1 A string or suture,out very rapidly and can cause... More

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

After having to cut a barb off a hook buried in my hand with regular side cutters, I keep a good pair of hook cutters like a Knipex on board.  You fish long enough you are going to get a few hooks buried.  It is worth being prepared.

I got a hook deep in the palm of my hand once. We tried to push it through ... no go.

Went to hospital, they did the string method ... no go.  They tried to push it through ... no go.

Somehow it was stuck in both directions ... so the only option was to make a small incision to get

it out. It wasn't bad, they didn't even stitch the incision ... just a band aid. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:51 AM, TyeeTanic said:

I got a hook deep in the palm of my hand once. We tried to push it through ... no go.

Went to hospital, they did the string method ... no go.  They tried to push it through ... no go.

Somehow it was stuck in both directions ... so the only option was to make a small incision to get

it out. It wasn't bad, they didn't even stitch the incision ... just a band aid. 

No tetanus shot? Lol. Happened to me too but in the finger. Went to ER and was given a digital block which essentially was a novocaine shot at the base of my finger. Numbed the entire finger in less than a minute. I remember the Doc asking me "do you feel this?"  I said "feel what" about 10-15 seconds later he said "okay it's out" Felt that tetanus shot in the butt though!

12 hours ago, MikeyP said:

No tetanus shot? Lol. Happened to me too but in the finger. Went to ER and was given a digital block which essentially was a novocaine shot at the base of my finger. Numbed the entire finger in less than a minute. I remember the Doc asking me "do you feel this?"  I said "feel what" about 10-15 seconds later he said "okay it's out" Felt that tetanus shot in the butt though!

Haha, they did deliver a tetanus shot too!