Fishing Reports -Please

The tools are in place here to help everyone but it would be so much better if each port had postings daily. We have members all over Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes so a complete picture of the fishing conditions should always be at your fingertips. Whether your out fishing, talking to the people who were out, or live on the lake, put up a post of what you know, good or bad, wind, waves, temps, colors, lures but we all need to know. The more information everyone has the better the experience and success for everyone as well.

Now Larry, it is a two way street. I may be mistaken but I don't recall any fish reports by Rebel Charters. I think everyone would love to have more reports from charter captains. We don't need GPS coordinates, but generalities sure help.

Exactly, didn't feel the need to post since the general information was always there but now I think we all need to start making an extra effort The foundation has been established so what kind of house we build is up to all of us. Ray's already stokin' the furnace and as soon as I can teach Jerry that the keyboard isn't in alphabetical order (and we get the boat in) we'll be putting up some info for Sandy Creek. How about you take Niagara, you'll have to put your lunch box down and type a little but if this catches on... Joe's pioneering effort will make every port on LO better.

narbys still has a reort but not the one were used too,Ive never meet Joe or his wife though i feel like there family and there daily report was more dependable than the daily paper and usually a lot more interesting. Capt cove keeps a radio on and is manned most days i could give them a call to see if they could help us here a little

Thanks Ray, nice Buc-A- Roo report as well, if there are any links to local fishing reports we can have Chad add them to the friends list to make them more accessable for everyone.

Guys, couldn't agree more about the reports. Whether it be good or bad, any info is appreciated. Another source of info for those who belong would be the LOTSA forum. Anyone not belonging to this group should look into joining. Larry, have to agree with your comment about Chad and his work with this site. Outstanding job. As well as your comment regarding Joe's efforts.-Duane

Larry,

I type a report for each day I fish and post it on my website. I used (2004) to copy it and post it on LOU as well, but then I was called on the carpet and banned from the site for posting my reports so I no longer do it. 2008's report are archived on my site if you want to take a look at them and if you approve of the style, I have no problem copying future reports (without fish pictures) to the reports section of LOU. Most likely I would keep fisherman's names in the first paragraph and the fishing details in the second paragraph and copy only the second paragraph.

Let me know what you think,

CC

http://www.salmocharters.com/index_files/SalmonFishingReport.html

Excellent reports CB, I don't know what went on back then but as long as it's honest and not an advertisement to drum up business I don't think there's a problem. As charter Captains we are held to a higher standard in the way we present the information we share which is a thin line, between competing businesses and competing ports to bring in the tourists dollars. I know when out on the water we use hands and colors to let the other captains know how we're doing so we don't embarrass anyone if they're not doing well and on the site I've seen a few hard feelings when guys posted extraordinary catches that might seem like bragging but regardless, I know after a long day of fishing the last thing I want to do is sit down and type. You are to be commended for this effort and willingness to share your daily program. I'll recommend to Chad that your link be added to the LOU friends or if you just want to be allowed to post reports? I have no problem with either and I'm sure everyone would benefit from the information. On the surface it would seem that posting the information to share with fellow fisherman would be innocent and beneficial to all but you can't please everyone and you can't anticipate how they view the information presented. My hope is that by having someone from each port posting we can get an accurate picture of the migration and dispersion of the fish around the lake as the year progresses. Last year we hypothesized that the kings had gone north due to weather conditions but had no way to verify this theory except experience so we beat up the browns and bows instead.

Larry,

Thank you for your consideration of this topic. My reports are always honest, they have to be my clients go home and read them and nothing worse for clients that catching 1 fish, paying the bill then reading the captain’s report of a great day of phantom fish catching. You certainly may add the link and I am willing to copy the posts whatever LOU decides. I am well aware of the line between bragging and reporting. Myself if I had a day struggling to catch fish, I am after all the information I can get to tweak my presentation for the next day. Sure my ego is a bit bruised to hear Capt. X caught a limit of kings and steels, but not so much that I am not interested in how he done it!! Reality is that some days will be slow and on those days some will have located a pod of fish or a hot lure and catch fish. The whole idea behind the reports is to lessen the slow days for everyone participating by providing contemporaneous, pertinent information. Some are too proud, too stubborn or too old to learn so they take to complaining and gossip, the good fishermen we learn and change and learn some more that is what innovation is and that is what we do to catch fish.

Will address this more in the charter tales thread.

Good luck,

CC

CB- great reports... your right, the purpose of a report is to give people information, the more fishing reports the better. In my case I only make it to LO 1 time a year and I gained pretty much all my knowledge from Joe's reports from the oak website. They were a tremendous help; without his reports or any other reports, I would have little idea of what to do, use, where to fish, fow, etc.

I hope you and other people help spread the word of what works and what doesnt. I know I cannot say thank you enough, to all of you, for the reports and tips that I have recieved and will continue to recieve from the LOU website!

Perhaps this goes without saying, but all of us recreational fisherman should be reminded that if we can get a regular string of reports from charter captains, that we use the information to improve our chances, but continue to keep our distance while on the water and let the charter boats do there thing....work. Crowding these guys because they are successful and share their information will only hurt everyone. (The clowns that attach themselves to the wake of a charter boat are probably not reading this site anyways!)

Thanks for any help all of you can provide and good luck for a successful year.

On a side note to all charter captains posting please omit catch ratio for the day and use a 1-10 rating for the day to describe how good the fishing was. This will keep the integrity of the post and limit misconceptions about why the post is made. Keep them professional and informative and the community will be well served. Thanks