BROWN TROUT STOCKING

Every year the state stocks thousands of browns in Pultneyville.Then hundreds if not thousands of birds have a feast. I watched yesterday id say the bird missed half the time lol

For my two cents Id at least hold off till the bait was in or how about letting the fish go out in the lake

I appreciate the stocking program but hate to see this loss.

John a friend of mine watched the same thing happen on Sandy creek re stocking of rainbows a couple days ago, you charter captains should get together and request a meeting with the DEC and try to come up with a solution 

5 minutes ago, jilou1ow said:

John a friend of mine watched the same thing happen on Sandy creek re stocking of rainbows a couple days ago, you charter captains should get together and request a meeting with the DEC and try to come up with a solution 

We have had more meetings then you can imagine....

• Like 3

We have had more meetings then you can imagine....

Wouldn’t that make a great turkey ( cormorant) shoot ?? Cash prize for the most birds splashed

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 3

You hear these stories up and down the lake. It's sad the DEC hasn't stepped up and done something to combat this. All that hard work, time, and money put into these fish and they just toss them in.

• Like 2

YOU THINK DOING THE SAME THING EVERY YEAR THEY WOULD LEARN AND NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES.

A 38 pound brown was caught on Oak Orchard Creek last year. See you tube for the video.

You hear these stories up and down the lake. It's sad the DEC hasn't stepped up and done something to combat this. All that hard work, time, and money put into these fish and they just toss them in.

It’s out of their hands, cormorants are protected at the federal level. We tried last year to get them to allow hunting of them, or at the very least, some sort of control measures to control their numbers. As the Corresponding Secretary of LOTSA, I sent a letter to USFWS asking for some relief, but nothing came of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tim Bromund said:

It’s out of their hands, cormorants are protected at the federal level. We tried last year to get them to allow hunting of them, or at the very least, some sort of control measures to control their numbers. As the Corresponding Secretary of LOTSA, I sent a letter to USFWS asking for some relief, but nothing came of it.

I don't believe it's out of their hands. They have a better chance at getting something done before any club. Use the stocking of Lake Trout and Atlantics (federal money) to get the feds to allow something whether it's a hunting season or more control of their nesting sites.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Bromund said:

Tim,

just and idea if you could included that letter so member's here could sign it in agreement, and say you got 50% to sign then maybe they would acknowledge something needs to be done 

Scott

Tim,
just and idea if you could included that letter so member's here could sign it in agreement, and say you got 50% to sign then maybe they would acknowledge something needs to be done 
Scott

Here is the letter I sent:

US Fish and Wildlife Service

RE: PROPOSED MANAGEMENT OF DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANTS:

I am writing on behalf of the Lake Ontario Trout and Salmon Association. We are an organization of over 500 members in 9 US States and 2 Canadian Provinces. We strongly support the implementation of the proposed rule allowing States to manage cormorant populations.

Here in NYS, Double Crested Cormorant populations have exploded on both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie due to the inability of our local NYSDEC officials to effectively manage Cormorant populations within our borders. Over the last decade, we have seen devastating predation in all parts of our Great Lake Waters of both stocked and wild gamefish, as well as the baitfish they prey upon. We have witnessed entire beach stockings of thousands of game fish such as brown trout decimated by hundreds of Cormorants at the time and point of release.

The Cormorants also prey heavily on alewife in the spring when they are in the lake shallows engaged in their annual spawning activities. Alewife and emerald shiner populations in both Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Niagara River are currently at dangerously low levels and cannot sustain the additional stress the excessive Cormorant populations place on them.

Double Crested Cormorant populations are out of control and in addition to the devastation they are wreaking on both bait and game fish, the large colonies of nesting cormorants and the volume of waste generated at those sites are destroying the local ecology in those areas.

Double Crested Cormorants desperately need to be managed and the State Agencies are best suited to enact effective management strategies.

Thank you, we appreciate the opportunity to provide input on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Timothy Bromund
LOTSA Corresponding Secretary

• Like 2

Control is coming. Jan. 2021 USF&WS finalized a rule that facilitates the lethal take of 120,000 double crested cormorants annually. It will be done on a case by case basis with USF&WS approval. They have been prevented from controlling by litigation that has been tied up in courts for the last few years. As for stocking here on Champlain where I live VTF&W stocks fish as early as there is ice away from shore and they can get a pipe in under the ice before the cormorants arrive. NY side does not do this