Favorite Socks?

This may seem like an obscure topic, but it is important to me.  Do any of you have favorite socks for doing lots of walking in the woods?  I work outside, with lots of walking.  for years the absolute best socks in the world were Bass Pro Shops' Red Head brand.  They are thick, but soft.  I wore them summer and winter because they cushion your feet and prevent blisters.  Before they came around I would often double up on socks for a day in the woods, which makes you go through your sock drawer quickly.  I am ready to order another batch, and I noticed that the RedHead socks didn't get good ratings on Cabela's own web page.  Turns out, like everything else, people complained that they cheapened the manufacturing process, and the ones they sell today aren't as good.  

So what other socks out there are worth getting for long days of walking off-trail?

I have some Farm To Feet Damascus socks that I have worn a ton in the woods, on the ice, and to work. They are nice.

I have a couple pairs of First Lite socks that have a lot of miles too. They are probably the best I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I wound up ordering socks from Darn Tough.  Two kinds - the Hike/Trek and the Tactical.  Turns out the Tactical are the ones I am looking for - very thick and cushioney.  Also, they are the only sock company that makes very big sizes (I am a 15).  It's hard to order clothes online when you can't hold them in your hand to judge the feel and materials.

Edited by Pete Collin

Tactical? Interesting. Even with all the darn tough socks I own, there's always something new to discover. I think that the main difference between the tactical line and most other models is that the tactical are solid drab colors for military or police applications, where there's a dress code. The specs look very similar otherwise, including to the full cushion hunting and hiking socks that I prefer. Good choice.

Did some searching - the tactical line is made with US sourced wool, whereas the other lines are made with globally source wool. I guess some government consumers buy US only products? Otherwise, the company says that the specs are similar. For the extra $1, I'll go with the tactical line from now on and buy American. You learn something every day.

Edited by Gator