The Oak Report From The "Buc-A-Roo"

I share the loss of At The Oak reports as bad as the rest of you. A site where i was weaned on lake ontario fishing for everyday I could check it from the day i found it several years ago... Just got off the phone with Capt. Ron From the "Buc"...They Had a good day for this time of year with 2 trips (morning and afternoon) approx 13 for 21 in the am/and 11for 18 for the afternoon trip.a mixed bag of Browns,Cohos,Steelies,and even 2 undersized Atlantics(maybe the stocking is working as several atlantics have been reported already this year).The usual stickbaits were doing there thing including Firetiger,Black and Silver,He also mentioned the WD-Dreamweavers on the riggers with the Frog beinging the best color for the day.The 2 to 4 ftrs outa the northeast ,with the wind and rain was taking its toll on the "first mate" as the Capt and crew were under cover with the heater on. They had to hug the 6-8ft of water to stay in the "hot"44deg. zone with the bite droping off with the water temps of 42deg. just a few feet deeper.Capt.Ron is concerned the N/E wind will break up the warm water tonight for his double charter day tomorrow and he will give it a go if his clients can take the "bumpy waters".Though only a few colors were mentioned as usual this time of year a wide varity of colors will work when you put it in there nose with stained shallow water. And today only proves the best fishing occures when your on the water . "The Rally Killer " made a short trip today but i have no info as how Capt.Clerence and his crew did.Thank You Ron for your willingness to Share your day "on the water" with us . Ray K. P.S.( I knew id forget something ) Capt. Ron said the browns were very healthy looking and surprisingly large this year .So maybe well be pulling in some double digets soon.

Ray, thanks for your post, and as you made mentioned Capt. Ron's willingness to share that info. I was hoping and planning on heading to the Oak tomorrow to help with putting the pens together. But due to a few family matters that have come up, along with the friend who was going with me had a death in the family, I won't be able to make it. We were wanting to do a possible fishing trip afterwards. So this kind of gives me the incentive to do so soon. Speaking of the pens, this will be the first year I have missed for a while for construction. I always looked forward to it, for it gave a sense of satisfaction of giving something back. Which leads to me to say that, please don't assume someone else will be there and do it. Take it upon yourself to help out and lend a hand. Whether it be at the Oak or elsewhere. Sorry guys, but this is the part of me being very involved with youth sports talking now. Ray, I think you held that capacity at one time. If so ,you know what I mean. Thanks again for the report, and hope to see you soon at the Oak. -Duane

March 22, 2009

Oak Pen Rearing... I am sure everyone was wondering when the first Right of Spring salmon fishing would begin. Well, I would like to announce that we will be putting the pens together on Saturday April 4th in preparation for this years delivery of fish which I believe will be mid month according to the information I have received so far from the DEC.

We will be holding 82,500 salmon and 14,000, steelhead this coming year. So bring your side-cutters for a 9:00 AM start at Lake Breeze Marina. If we have bad weather on Saturday we will move it to Sunday the 5th.

Fish delivery and feeding infomaiton will follow as it becomes available...Thanks and see you all there...Bob Songin

Anyone know if the launch dock(s) are in at either the state launch(west) or county launch(east) at the Oak? How 'bout the launch dock at the seabreeze at I-Bay? Browns or perch this weekend dependent on launch sites.

No launch docks at either as of Today- Wed. They did put some of the transient docks in on the East side , which may help a little. Captains Cove has a launch further down river for a fee. Very muddy water out there right now. Dock status could change by the weekend with some more decent weather the next few days. I'm sure I'll head that way on Friday, and report back.

Thanks Mick. Keep us posted. Did you happen to make it last Saturday for pen construction at the Oak? I planned on it and had to change plans due to reasons beyond my control. Just wondered what kind of turn out they had. -Duane

I didn't think they would do it with the weather but was told people showed up from all over so they did them on Saturday anyways.I guess they had a great turnout and got them done pretty quick. I believe Olcott's pen construction is this Saturday for anyone who would like to lend a hand and couldn't last Saturday.

Thanks for the update Mick. I've run up as far as Captn's Cove in the past, early in the spring and had a heck of a time in the mud! It gets pretty shallow if you're not familiar with the bottom. I usually slip at Wiley's and don't get any further upstream that that. Do they put channel marker buoys in during the season?

I don't believe any markers are put in at all. From Wileys to the lake you will have no problem to the lake as long as you stay in the main channel. It's usually 15-20 feet deep. From Wileys upstream there are definate areas that get real shallow fast if your not carefull. Downstream to the lake just don't get too close to the west side of the river, as it does get shallower. That side is usually choked up with weeds, anyways.