Favorite Leadcore Brand(s)

Hi All-

Getting ready to set-up my first couple of leadcore rods. What is your favorite brand of leadcore? Which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Be careful what you buy. Suffix makes a performance (micro) lead core and a traditional leadcore. Traditionals been around a long time. The sheathing is dacron I believe. We use 27lb for Ontario and Erie trolling. The micro uses a different sheathing material. I believe its spectra ,the stuff that Power pro is made of. I'm not saying the performance or micro leadcore is bad. I'm just invested in traditional leadcore.  I have a bunch of reels loaded with different amounts of leadcore all with traditional 27lb. A friend likes the micro/performnce leadcore and all his reels are loaded with it. If you go traditional you gotta use either the insertion knot or the VQ knot to make connection of leadcore to mono or flourocarbon leader. Checkout Vision Quest Sportfishing on Youtube to learn the VQ knot. I used to use the insertion knot, now only use the VG.,much easier. For backer I use power pro 30lb tied to leadcore with an albright knot. I do not replace my ledcore every year, Got some thats been on reels 4-5 years. Forgot to mention performance/micro supposedly gets down 30% deeper then traditional cause its thinner. Especially like to use inline boards with sickbaits for Walleye on Erie. A 5 color catches alot of eyes for us. Late in summer we'll run four 10 color rods.    Good luck.

• Like 1

Another vote for stealth core here.  The suffix stuff is garbage IMO.  I could only get one season out of my 10 color cores before it started fraying.  Mason Leadcore was decent.  

The Stealthcore and Tufline Microlead are both solid choices.  The Stealthcore works well with a Willis knot and seems to hold up well.  I use the Tufline Microlead for 10 colors on Saltist 50’s- the smaller diameter allows for more backer however I use different knots as it is too small to easily slide your leader to do the Willis knot.

• 3 weeks later...

Suffix 832-18lb.   About the 5th year and still going strong.  Zero issues.   Shoot, I think I still have the original knots.    I"m not sure about the 30% deeper they advertise.   Too many variables to really know.  (currents, speed, lure, etc)

On 6/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, ncej03 said:

Suffix 832-18lb.   About the 5th year and still going strong.  Zero issues.   Shoot, I think I still have the original knots.    I"m not sure about the 30% deeper they advertise.   Too many variables to really know.  (currents, speed, lure, etc)

Thanks much!

On 6/4/2021 at 6:48 AM, gonefishing71 said:

i like the stealth core for my bigger reals

however i had a few 20 size reals i wanted to try as short cores

2 colors,  3 colors of suffix 832 micro 18lb on a okuma coldwater 20 size real, has been amazing on the browns

Appreciate the response. Thanks!