Fair Haven Beach State Park shore fishing tips?

My girlfriend and I will be renting one of the cabins in the state park 5/12-5/14. I was just wondering if there was any decent shore fishing opportunities nearby. I've got plenty of spoons and Rapalas. Not looking for anybody's top secret tips, but if somebody could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Go to the bay side where the boat launch is. There is like 500' of bay shoreline with good bottom to fish. You can try off the channel pier for browns or even a salmon if you get lucky. By the Bluffs there used to be an old smaller pier that was pretty good to fish off of if its not all busted up by now, just be careful of the waves. The pond channel is OK but its heavily fished. The bay shoreline is your best bet for sure, and you can drive right there and damn near fish out of your vehicle! Have fun and good luck. I lived in Fair Haven for 22 years, great little town.

• Like 1

As you walk out on the big pier , on the bay side from about 100 yards to the main channel is good for warm water species . The corner where you start to walk north is the best spot fishing in the bay . I would think the channel where the swim area is to the small pond would be good because of the warm water . 

• Like 1

If you want to fish the channel from the bay to the lake for early morning or evening walleye, you can go over to the county park on the West side & park almost on the pier. Bring a long handled net or you'll have to horse anything you catch up 6 foot to the top of the pier. The small concrete pier near the bluffs is still fishable. It's broken up a little, but a guy can still fish off the end. The channel to the park pond is pretty shallow & hasn't been dredged in a decade since the diving boards were taken out. The 500' where the old coal trestle was S. of the boat launch drops off to 20' very quickly and a rocky bottom. If you perch it over there, bring plenty of sinkers cause you'll lose a few. Bullheads are active in the park pond now if you like also.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, 2lbperch said:

If you want to fish the channel from the bay to the lake for early morning or evening walleye, you can go over to the county park on the West side & park almost on the pier. Bring a long handled net or you'll have to horse anything you catch up 6 foot to the top of the pier. The small concrete pier near the bluffs is still fishable. It's broken up a little, but a guy can still fish off the end. The channel to the park pond is pretty shallow & hasn't been dredged in a decade since the diving boards were taken out. The 500' where the old coal trestle was S. of the boat launch drops off to 20' very quickly and a rocky bottom. If you perch it over there, bring plenty of sinkers cause you'll lose a few. Bullheads are active in the park pond now if you like also.

Thanks! Just got here, no net.....but I’ll see what I can do here! 

5 hours ago, 2lbperch said:

I've got one you can borrow. I live the next village over. Red Creek

That is super generous of you, I appreciate it. Not sure if I’ll end up fishing the pier or not, but thank you. I will contact you if I decide to. Gonna try the rocky shoreline tomorrow, hopefully the wind dies off a bit. We’re only here for 2 nights and it more of a couples getaway than a fishing trip 😅Thanks again!

Edited by dawsonscreek

Bullhead fishing on the pond seems to be really popular at night.

Even if you aren't into it, its really neat to see lanterns lined up around the pond. Some people get there before dusk with their lawn chairs to get their spot.

• Like 1

Rocky shoreline near the boat launch turned out to be alright. Didn’t have any crazy action but managed a couple chunky bass. Tried for browns with spoons but never had any luck, though I did see a really nice one Juno about 10 feet from where I casted. Overall a fun trip, the pup got a kick out of the swans! Thanks all for the tips, I appreciate it! 

97CC66CD-474F-4251-878E-4CB9D64B518F.jpeg

DF8ADA63-64CF-4621-83BB-27E9663A9769.jpeg

963541BE-892E-42C0-8E8A-5B8F2A991397.jpeg

• Like 5