No Gas

My son who lives in Cary NC says all the stations around him are out . 

All this over some guys who hacked into the pipeline computer system ? 

It's a good thing those guys went around election time . Or were they ? 

Get ready to be bent over on gas prices. I knew one  way or another the price would go up . 

• Like 3

They have reopened the gas line- Gas is going up but so is everything else, every country that has printed up money like we did during stimulus has encountered inflation, thats the real concern imo. Used car prices up 20%, lumber thru the roof etc......

Fish more, stress less!FB_IMG_1619347541749.thumb.jpeg.29f4ffca5a2353d2a6655fde3b71585c.jpeg

#1 lure of 4 Musky Inc National Champions in last 3 years.

With prices of gas on the rise everything is going up in price. I got a letter from the lp company that supplies the house the lock-in price for next winner dollar twenty-five cents higher than this last winter. My buddies said it's going to be too expensive to go fishing. I wonder how much a charter is going to be if this doesn't stop...... our country has Shirley change from pre covid.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sadly I would bet it was a weak password is actually of they got in. If it was Ramsomeware  chances are it was banging away at their routers with simple usernames and password.  common are admin, root, administrator with  the same as the name for the password or even just password. where I work I get about 1.7M hits on our router trying to get in and we really have nothing of importance to the outside, However if the manage to get in and encrypt all your files they can charge whatever they want to unlock your files.  Since most ask for Bit Coin  it becomes untraceable. companies pay thousands to millions depending on how much was encrypted. and companies PAY IT!

• Like 1

I'm certain it was a whole more than guessing at passwords etc. They hacked into the software comp[any that provides security for our government and they stole the tools we use to hack and trace down other adversary countries. In short the game is over right now combining that with the fact that the scums at Honeywell gave the blueprints for our most advanced aircraft (fighters and bombers) to the Chinese. Thye have been trying to get into the electric grid too and if that happens we are at the mercy of our adversaries.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

Get ready. Word on the street is that it will be a prevalent occurrence in many of the big to small companies both in the private and public sectors including school systems. Having second authentic credentials throughout will be a must while having a backup IS system so you can reroute too so downtime is minimal will save from handing out thousands to millions to the crooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is nothing new and has been going on for quite some time. We were hit a few years back on a Saturday morning and in 4 hours all of our data was encrypted with a note. that note included an email to contact and see what the ransom was to unlock the files again.  We didn't have to pay that because we had a good backup system. As I mentioned in MANY cased it is a malicious code that is logins against your system and once it has found access it does it's thing. I worked closely with a forensic team trying to determine how and where it got through but because I reacted quickly i may have destroyed the evidence showing the how and where. RDP (Windows Remote Desktop) is one of the ways to access the companies FTP servers or any other unsecure port gives these thieves a portal to your network. Simply closing a popup or replying to an email creatively constructed can give them the information they need. Be sure in most cases it starts with a username and password. Google Ransomware and do some reading.  As mentioned you will start to see MFA (Multi factor Authentication) where you enter a username and password and you will be sent a code or get a phone call confirming you requested access.  Remember people are lazy they don't want long and sophisticated password and these people exploit it.   This could be a whole topic in itself

What's a ransomware attack?

Hackers use ransomware -- a type of malware -- to scramble a company's computer data and hold it hostage until a ransom is paid. In a double extortion scheme, the attackers pilfer the data and threaten to publish it.

On Thursday, Bloomberg reported that Colonial paid nearly $5 million in ransom for software to decrypt its computers. The report contradicted an earlier story by The Washington Post that the company was restoring its data from backups and didn't plan to pay the hackers. Bloomberg reported the software tool, which was paid for with an unspecified cryptocurrency, was slow so Colonial continued restoring its system from backups.

The above was from CNET and the first statement is not totally correct. it is usually an encryption app that is run on the network and the hacker holds the key releasing it to you when the ransom is paid. if you have backups and are up to date or run volume shadow services on you drives you have very good chance you won't have to pay. 

The hackers are now seeking out Backups and if found the process them first and follow up with the live data. 

18 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I'm certain it was a whole more than guessing at passwords etc. They hacked into the software comp[any that provides security for our government and they stole the tools we use to hack and trace down other adversary countries. In short the game is over right now combining that with the fact that the scums at Honeywell gave the blueprints for our most advanced aircraft (fighters and bombers) to the Chinese. Thye have been trying to get into the electric grid too and if that happens we are at the mercy of our adversaries.

This is an article my son wrote for Business Insider 5 years ago to show how easy it was for a security company to not only break into power stations, but also to get into their systems.  I'm pretty sure since then it's even become easier with  hackers. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/red-team-security-hacking-power-company-2016-4

It’s all relevant right? On site security, site access, who’s doing what, who should be there etc. I was really referring to hackers tying into your data mainframe from never stepping foot in your plant, city, state and what now looks to be country. What looks to be what happened at this refiner. Will be interesting if they find culprits payed off from the inside

Burglars getting into a facility and hacking into your system is I guess a bigger issue with operational procedures being compromised as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good article, and it also mentions the main culprit that helps the perpetrators (often fully financed state (other countries) supported hackers working 24/7 to do us in and that is people either using sloppy procedures, bypassing procedures, or doing personal stuff on company computers (e.g. flash drive activity etc.). Not much is needed to create holes in most security. Of particular concern is the fact that many big companies, banks, or utility companies don't report the breaks because of the negative fallout and publicity so the extent and severity of the activity is disguised. It is like a ticking time bomb.

Edited by Sk8man

22 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Just the way the Dems planed it. All of the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.

• Like 1

Just the way the Dems planed it. All of the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.

Makes Jose Biden’s gas [emoji618]️ worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 3:22 PM, Sk8man said:

The hackers got into the government system by sending out a trojan horse update to the government.  Thinking they were simply updating their infrastructure monitoring software, they wound up passing it along from one system to another.  This move gave the hackers "back doors" to systems all over the place.  Basically, it was a little more sophisticated than simply guessing that some slacker used "Admin" and "Password" on their desktop, not that that doesn't happen far too often, sadly.

:lol: Yeah and folks that do banking online are thinking they are fully protected too....unreal the myths we live by.

• 2 weeks later...