Points conversion to electronic ignition

Gill-T

Greetings. After getting towed in twice in less than a year because of my points distributor crapping the bed, I had the points system replaced with an electronic ignition system. Wow, what a difference!  My engine has never run better. However, when I try to shift in and out of gear, I can barely move the shifter. Either my electronic shift assist switch crapped out or it doesn’t work in concert with the new electronic ignition system. Does anyone know if the conversion from points to electronic ignition requires anything to be done with the shift assist switch ?  Thanks in advance. 

If you had a Pertronix Electronic System put in the distributor that just replaces the points, condenser and rotor in the distributor.  Sometimes the coil is replaced too, but on the marine units I’ve installed the original coil was used.  Should have nothing to do with shift linkage other than someone bumping or moving something getting to distributor.  The Pertronix is a simple bolt in that can be easily reversed back to original points.

Could the engine working better change the RPM’s enough that an adjustment is needed  to the shift cable alignment with the electronic shift assist switch?

It really shouldn’t alter idle speed very much as normally you don’t make any timing adjustments.  If someone installed the points conversion kit for you, then you should probably ask them about any other adjustments they might have made. If the engine has a carburetor then that usually has the idle adjustment.  There is little to no adjustment in a Pertronix kit- just one gap setting in distributor.

If its an OMC

The Ignitor is compatible with all shift interrupters on boats. On OMC stern drive applications, with the OMC interrupter our "diode fix" will be needed. Click on the attachment below for the "diode fix" view the diagram. View Diagram If you have updated the OMC interrupter to a newer CDI Electronics interrupter.

• Like 1

I did the same to my mercruiser a few years ago and I never looked back. I installed the Delco Voyager EST Kit. On this setup there is a plug in wire that goes out from the bottom of the distributor  to the interruptor. maybe yours has a similar option.

Edited by rolmops