calcutta administrative fee

The calcutta has always been a side bet between boats at tournaments 100% cash payout usually top 3 boats. Recently at an event 5% was taking off the calcutta for administrative fee. Not sure what they had to manage for a calcutta anybody could collect money and pay the top 3. I can understand admin fees for creating and managing a tournament but not the calcutta. I don't agree with the fee and I would like to see what others think. If the admin fee for the calcutta is the new way of doing things I suggest that we manage it ourselves as teams for free. 

I also fished that tournament. Couldn’t agree more. That is total BS. Captains should just do it on their own if that’s going to be the new standard. I actually liked the two day format though!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hillbilly and SilverFox,

Did either of you fish it?

The registration forms and rules were very transparent on the admin fees (which were reduced).  They were made transparent so there was no BS or accusations. So anyone who participated KNEW EXACTLY what was up and agreed to it when they checked the LITTLE BOX.  If they didnt, they should have not entered that. 

There was no greed involved and taking shots at tournaments without fully understanding things ALSO ruins tournaments.  These are a PIA to organize, manage, maintain websites, insure and accept liability for, etc..  The XXXXXX   which was collected had a grand total of $750 in admin fees which also went to the events expenses such as, lie detector service, helpers, tourney director and assistant, the faux checks, website, etc and on and on...  This was not a typical cash side bet where someone steps up and volunteers to handle it.  It was part of the event NOT a dock bet.

The event also rounded out higher payouts, topped off the 1K which should have paid $617.00 per day NOT $1,000.  If the event was greedy, it would have stuck to the $617 pro rated because not enough teams entered to pay $1,000.    $1,000 was paid. How about an AMEN for that boys????

Do you buy gas knowing there's a tax on it? YUP....  Go to work knowing uncle sams gonna slam you for 20-30%, etc... YUP... Why??  We know why.   These events take time, money and a lot of effort to orchestrate.  Dont spoil it by complaining about something you don't fully understand.

Seems like your trying to start something here, to prove a point or gain sides about a pretty well run and fun event !

Vision Quest

• Like 1

We are not talking about admin fees for the tournament itself. I agree totally on admin fees for the tournament. It takes a lot to run one a lot of time and man power. I only have a problem with the calcutta fee. I have never fished a tournament where a fee was taken out of that pot. The calcutta was a dock bet paid at the captains meeting just like every pro am you collected it and paid it back out minus your admin fee. Last year calcutta was paid through your site great lakes events or whatever it was and I could understand admin fee for that because it was ran through a website and excepted all forms of payment. 

I'm not trying to start something here just expressing that a calcutta should not have admin fees if its cash collected at a meeting. Its no different than you and I making a side bet. If it was disclosed or not I would still feel the same way. Still would fish the tournament but I don't agree with the way calcutta was handled.

It was a great tournament and most likely keep fishing it. Thanks for putting it together just know there are a bunch of teams that weren't happy with the calcutta admin fee. Its just food for thought going into the next year!

Yeah, this seems like an easily avoidable issue. Lose the fee for the Calcutta and take a bit more from the general pot. It might make the payout marginally less, but it circumvents the appearance of taxing a side bet. Appearance being the pertinent word. And done.

Hillbilly and SilverFox,

Did either of you fish it?

The registration forms and rules were very transparent on the admin fees (which were reduced).  They were made transparent so there was no BS or accusations. So anyone who participated KNEW EXACTLY what was up and agreed to it when they checked the LITTLE BOX.  If they didnt, they should have not entered that. 

There was no greed involved and taking shots at tournaments without fully understanding things ALSO ruins tournaments.  These are a PIA to organize, manage, maintain websites, insure and accept liability for, etc..  The XXXXXX   which was collected had a grand total of $750 in admin fees which also went to the events expenses such as, lie detector service, helpers, tourney director and assistant, the faux checks, website, etc and on and on...  This was not a typical cash side bet where someone steps up and volunteers to handle it.  It was part of the event NOT a dock bet.

The event also rounded out higher payouts, topped off the 1K which should have paid $617.00 per day NOT $1,000.  If the event was greedy, it would have stuck to the $617 pro rated because not enough teams entered to pay $1,000.    $1,000 was paid. How about an AMEN for that boys????

Do you buy gas knowing there's a tax on it? YUP....  Go to work knowing uncle sams gonna slam you for 20-30%, etc... YUP... Why??  We know why.   These events take time, money and a lot of effort to orchestrate.  Dont spoil it by complaining about something you don't fully understand.

Seems like your trying to start something here, to prove a point or gain sides about a pretty well run and fun event !

Vision Quest

It was just a blanket statement of all sporting tournaments, not pointed directly at this tournament. Entry fees and payouts have hurt more tournaments than a tiny 5% Calcutta fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Silver Fox-OK and thanks for clarifying

Hillbilly-  In order to cover costs and make it worth doing, the admin fees on just the entry fees was not enough...  Last year, there were 16 or 17 teams and the expenses were the same=loser.  This year, the entries were about double.  Again, it was advertised clearly at 10% admin fees not knowing just how many teams would enter ANY of the offered venues and "if" there would even be a break even point.  Since there was a good turnout in all categories, the admin fee was dropped to 5%.    Excerpt from WHI web page.  Note word voluntary.

"  Also, there will be a voluntary $500 Captain's bet each day with payment due at time of registration. 10% of all entries will go toward the administration of the event, lie detector tests and monitoring of the enforcement of rules."

If you or anyone else wants to handle the captains bet in 2022, then contact us.  You/they can be responsible to advertise it, accept, account for, and safekeep $15,000  and accept responsibility for that in the event something happens.  By keeping it in the event, there is a guarantee that kind of $$ is accounted for and guaranteed.  The WHI event was very transparent.  So-if that 5% is worth it, go for it.

Keep in mind that the entry fees may need to be increased somewhat to help pay the tourney fees and that added money would be 1099 income VS the way it was handled this year.  5% admin VS 1099 ?

Last year, as you mentioned, it was run through the web site and paid out as 1099 income.   5% VS 1099 income.  Make the call.  

Another item to consider, the WHI nixed the observer rule. Most teams pay $100 day for that service.  That $ stayed in teams pocket again this year.  But we paid the LD test examiner as an offset.  More to chew on.

I understand your simple point but there's a bigger pic here.

Vision Quest

Vision quest,

Observers seem to be a thing of the past for most tournaments. I get what your saying on the rest thanks for sharing. It may be a small point about the captains bet fee but I think it was one worth discussing. Yes it was voluntary and yes we did volunteer and buy in so the choice was ours. There is no fee on the other calcutta's in other tournaments so I will except that the whi is different and move on and we can see what next year brings. Good luck the rest of the season and see you at the niagra pro am!

15 hours ago, dreamsteelie said:

All,

Thanks for the input and keeping it professional-all good !  

Let's go catch some fish now.

Vision Quest

You will never make everyone happy Pete.  Running a tournament or derby is a thankless job.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, hillbilly71 said:

Vision quest,

cps tester

Observers seem to be a thing of the past for most tournaments. I get what your saying on the rest thanks for sharing. It may be a small point about the captains bet fee but I think it was one worth discussing. Yes it was voluntary and yes we did volunteer and buy in so the choice was ours. There is no fee on the other calcutta's in other tournaments so I will except that the whi is different and move on and we can see what next year brings. Good luck the rest of the season and see you at the niagra pro am! chatiw camzap

Thanks for providing the proffesional answer.