Jump to content

Boat fire repair.


Recommended Posts

Where’s the best place near Rochester ny to get a boat with fire damage repaired? The boat in the slip next to mine caught fire. My gel coat is blistered pretty bad, windshield gasket is melted, rub rail is melted, cabin window is completely melted, canvass(John Mann did the original)and a few other things that might add up. The insurance company hasn’t estimated it yet. Of course the other guy has no insurance. Just trying to get a Juno on it. Probably won’t be able to get anything done this year with everyone so busy.

F21D88D5-74DA-4C7E-86C5-889C6D45D380.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bad Habit said:

Where’s the best place near Rochester ny to get a boat with fire damage repaired? The boat in the slip next to mine caught fire. My gel coat is blistered pretty bad, windshield gasket is melted, rub rail is melted, cabin window is completely melted, canvass(John Mann did the original)and a few other things that might add up. The insurance company hasn’t estimated it yet. Of course the other guy has no insurance. Just trying to get a Juno on it. Probably won’t be able to get anything done this year with everyone so busy.

F21D88D5-74DA-4C7E-86C5-889C6D45D380.jpeg

No insurance?  Most marinas make you carry insurance.  If not isn't the marina liable?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Brian said one of the worst fears but from the looks of the pic "fixable" at least. I'd contact John Mann regarding the see through stuff and canvas. He is a great guy and I'm sure would be glad to help out as he is able with such a situation.  Best of luck with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will definitely contact John about the canvas. I’m more concerned with the bubbled gel coat and all the melted parts that need replacing. (Port hole window, rub rail etc.Any good all around boat repair places? Is Great Lakes boat repair still in business?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have never needed those type of services but the guy here in Canandaigua seems pretty busy with boat repairs

http://www.bing.com/maps?q=boat+repair+caanandaigua+new+york&form=QBLH&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=boat+repair+caanandaigua+new+york&sc=4-33&qs=n&sk=&cvid=DBCB388463FB4FCEB99204289D9D4525

 

Edited by Sk8man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It’s true most marinas require you to have insurance in their contracts, but very few make you prove it with paperwork. Marinas are not liable. We just started this year making dock renters show proof of coverage. 

Sorry to hear about your damage. Hope you’re back out fishing soon.

Edited by UNREEL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

 Well, I got the estimate for the damage. $19,250!! It's more than the boat was valued at so it's a total.  I figure I'll use it for a while as is until I figure out what to do next. It's not pretty but it floats and hopefully still catches fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No insurance ? If it was me I would use some plexi glass for the windows. I would consider taking the boat to a auto body shop , have em sand out the blisters and then paint that side. WEFCO makes the rubber rub rails  see how it looks after that to see if you want to do anything with the canvas or use it until you have the funds for a upgrade. Rubber for windshield is a common Auto parts/ West Marine/ Ebay thing . Your damage appears to be cosmetic . It's a fishing boat ,not dock queen, if I made the above repairs I would use it until the engine let go or I just wanted to go bigger 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sucks man! Was this Sutters again? It kind of looks like it. Mine got cooked there 3 years ago the same way, boat next to mine caught fire on 4th of July. The same deal, no insurance on any other boats involved. My insurance totaled the boat and I bought it back fairly cheap. I used Fast Forward Fiberglass repair in Brewerton. They are a long ways away but did really nice work. Although it took a long time for them to get it done. I mainly used them because everyone else either did not want to touch it or wanted too much money. They had also done prior work on the boat for the previous owner. They did my work for less than half of your estimate and it looks like the extent of my damage may have been worse. When all was said and done I pocketed a decent chunk of cash too. It might be worth a try with them. Matt is the owners name. I have more pics of the boat when the repairs were in process if you want to see what their work looks like underneath the gel coat and all. Good Luck!

IMG_20180705_112628309.jpg

IMG_20190523_143017251_HDR.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bozeman, The damage is mostly cosmetic but I've had the boat since it was brand new in 1987. I tried to keep it in the best shape I could so although it's not a dock queen it would be terribly difficult to get on it every week looking like it does.  

 Jlogger, I remember when that happened to your boat. It looks like they did a great job with the repair. I did get insurance money for it and bought it back at a good price. the boat is 34 years old with 5500 hours so I need to take a little time and decide the best option going forward. If I decide to look at getting it repaired I would like to hear your experiences. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately your nearing the end of the life cycle on the engine @ 5500 hours. I think I would try to get what I could out of the setup and start looking for a suitable boat. Problem as I see it is , you dump 6-8 grand minimum into it and a month after you dunk it , the motor let's go. Now take the insurance money ,the 4,000 to rebuild or buy another engine and all the other incidentals and buy a newer used boat with 1/4 or less the hours than you have on your engine now and I think you will be better served going this route 

Edited by Bozeman Bob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough deciding what to do with a boat you have had for years from new.  You are doing the right thing by taking your time deciding whether to attempt repairing.  IMO based on boat age, hours, and value that putting money toward a complete repair is not wise.  I’d get it useable with minimal fixes I could do myself and fish it this season.  In the meantime, I’d be thinking/looking for a replacement. Might be some boats around in the fall to start some new memories with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would recommend B and W customs in Sodus Point.  Bill and Billy Jr are the best around at glass and the only guys I let touch my boat.  They are straight shooters.  If it can be fixed they will tell you if not they will tell you.  And don't ever let anyone tell you 5500 is the end of a life on a motor... That is in-experience with motors.  Plenty of life left if it is well maintained. Plenty of boats reach 10k plus hours on the troll.  Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BW customs is who I had do the insurance estimate. They were great to work with. The motor still preforms flawlessly and I know exactly how it was maintained and what was done over the life of the boat. If I didn't it would be an easier choice. For now I'm going to use it as is. I'm just looking forward to getting back to fishing after screwing around for the last 4 weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No on the life expectancy comment , 5500 hours is near the end of its duty cycle.  Could it make it to 6-8,000 hours , maybe ,but it would be the 1 in a million and at this point everything is wearing out ,bearings ,caps , valves ,springs, rings ,cylinders and on and on. So I would listen to people that say your near the end , didn't say you were at the end  like Tall Tails replied . My  "inexperience" with motors is having owned inboard boats for the last 45 years and have had about 5 rebuilt during that time . Yes oil was changed religiously and the boats are never beat or run much ,if at all , above cruising.speed which is around 3,000 RPM. Again I said your nearing the end , not your at the end and it's going to let go tomorrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, Bozeman Bob said:

No on the life expectancy comment , 5500 hours is near the end of its duty cycle.  Could it make it to 6-8,000 hours , maybe ,but it would be the 1 in a million and at this point everything is wearing out ,bearings ,caps , valves ,springs, rings ,cylinders and on and on. So I would listen to people that say your near the end , didn't say you were at the end  like Tall Tails replied . My  "inexperience" with motors is having owned inboard boats for the last 45 years and have had about 5 rebuilt during that time . Yes oil was changed religiously and the boats are never beat or run much ,if at all , above cruising.speed which is around 3,000 RPM. Again I said your nearing the end , not your at the end and it's going to let go tomorrow. 

Lots of boats on Lake Ontario in the 10k hour range.  I even know of one that went 16k... 5500 is nothing.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bad Habit said:

Bozeman, The damage is mostly cosmetic but I've had the boat since it was brand new in 1987. I tried to keep it in the best shape I could so although it's not a dock queen it would be terribly difficult to get on it every week looking like it does.  

 Jlogger, I remember when that happened to your boat. It looks like they did a great job with the repair. I did get insurance money for it and bought it back at a good price. the boat is 34 years old with 5500 hours so I need to take a little time and decide the best option going forward. If I decide to look at getting it repaired I would like to hear your experiences. 

Don't hesitate to PM me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was going to say, the damage is all one side, and appears to be above water line. Looks to be fixable, not withstanding the question about the engine which I don't know about. But a brand new motor can fail also. I would consider just pulling off the damaged canvas, buying a cheap Bimini, and patching, sanding, painting it. It will catch just as many fish as it did before. Hell my wife never goes anyways, and I can't find a girlfriend, so a Fishing boat is all I need. Also, the fishing sucks do far this year so you aren't missing anything yet. GIT-R-DUN

 

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...