Radio channel

Think you guys are bein a little harsh...maybe offer the guy a new contact or point him in the right direction...instead of actin like a bully. Perfect example of why guys are turned off to ask questions or even semi intimidated to say anything at all....maybe you should think about turning that vhf back on after 5 years....it might save your life or somebody else's some day !! Tight lines

Sent from my LM-V450 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 10

I much prefer the VHF over the cell phone. I learned how to troll Niagara county waters of L. Ontario by listening to two charter captains on there secret channel.  I miss the chatter on the radio that we used to have years ago. Sometimes that chatter totally saved my day. I've made good friends with quite a few fisherman from talking on the VHF. I find channel 10 &  68 are a good place to be on Niagara county water of L. Ontario. Sometimes we'll pick a channel no one ever uses and we'll just stay on it all day along with 2 or 3 other boats.  My boat has a remote speaker for the VHF. IT sounds like your sitting in the boat right next to us. Just my HO on VHF.

I much prefer the VHF over the cell phone. I learned how to troll Niagara county waters of L. Ontario by listening to two charter captains on there secret channel.  I miss the chatter on the radio that we used to have years ago. Sometimes that chatter totally saved my day. I've made good friends with quite a few fisherman from talking on the VHF. I find channel 10 &  68 are a good place to be on Niagara county water of L. Ontario. Sometimes we'll pick a channel no one ever uses and we'll just stay on it all day along with 2 or 3 other boats.  My boat has a remote speaker for the VHF. IT sounds like your sitting in the boat right next to us. Just my HO on VHF.

10 hours ago, DoubleTrouble1 said:

Think you guys are bein a little harsh...maybe offer the guy a new contact or point him in the right direction...instead of actin like a bully. Perfect example of why guys are turned off to ask questions or even semi intimidated to say anything at all....maybe you should think about turning that vhf back on after 5 years....it might save your life or somebody else's some day !! Tight lines

Sent from my LM-V450 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The OP asked a legitimate question and I thought Ski's reply was legitimate as well. Then the OP came back with some attitude. As far as not turning on the VHF in 5 years...I meant for only making inquiries concerning fishing or idle chit chat.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:32 AM, I_Shock_Em said:

I have contacts.  Thanks.  Guess you have never been on Erie before then

Im monitoring 68 when im fishing out of Point Breeze/ The Oak

Youre right about the radio traffic west of the point tho (PI)

I have my radio on always, last yr i towed in 2 separate boats in same day b4 even wetting a line 

Most of the time listening to the belly aching from the dypsie guys around 10am on how the eyes turned off and how others screaming on the speaker cussing someone out for running over their  lines or boat..

sounds like scenes from Tora Tora Tora or Midway... cheap entertainment 

There is no boat traffic on LO compared to LE westside from the point...:smile:

• Haha 1

Legally you are required to keep your VHF radio on at all times and monitor Channel 16. If something bad happens and you do nothing, those accident lawyers will put your bank accounts and possessions under a lawsuit that will take years to release the liens.

• Like 2

I personally feel the importance of having a VHF on board, let alone knowing how it use it correctly...kind of went out the window when they stopped issuing Radio Telephone Licenses with call signs. I still have mine laminated in my rig. I can't remember the last time I actually used the call sign. If I did, I bet the USCG would have no clue what I was saying.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:10 PM, Shakemsam said:

And ...Olcott isn't Erie. I stopped turning on the VHF about 5 years ago.

Good for you , you must have super secret people

Sunday afternoon my cell phone lost coverage. The big crowds on the beach area overloaded the cell tower. I was really out of my mind, this never happened before. After driving up to Route 5, my cell phone service returned. A vhf radio would still work .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 hours ago, thork9 said:

Remember when you going down or in a heavy storm call coast guard with your phone if you can find it and use the touch screen. City people do that.

Actually that is what the CG prefers you to use when in an emergency after initial contact with them has been made.... BTDT

• Like 1