Went out first light till 8 

Saw a lot of bait in 50 ft 

Moved out and fish 50 to 100 

No hits 

I'm done for a while till I see some good reports on here . It's like beating a dead horse.  I Ican't bring myself to target lake trout . 

I don't figure things will get good where I can fish out to 120 max till the lake stratifies . 

Me? I’m looking forward to getting skunked in the morning. It’s one of my two days off, is what it is.
My plan is to get skunked fishing Browns in 20-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was skunked yesterday going out of I-Bay. It was weird. There was perfectly green water in the 40- 50 foot range with temperatures above fifty. There were monster bait balls on the bottom all the way out to 90 feet, plenty of marks both on the bottom and higher up in the fifty range and also the 20 /30 range. So far so good. As for the bad part ; There were dead alewives all over the water by the thousands and a lot of dying ones as well. It gave me that eerie feeling  of thinking about a chemical spill of sorts. Maybe the bite is off because there are a lot of dying alewives down there and the fish can just swim around with their mouths open and get stuffed in minutes, who knows.

34 minutes ago, A-Lure-A said:

Saw the same thing off Ibay yesterday. Worked those fish for two hours with nothing then pointed it north for an hour. Popped two kings in 220 on a blank screen then had to leave.  Go figure. 

I saw you heading out as we were moving back in

Rolmops, I’ve been thinking similarly to your lots of super vulnerable alewife, emerging from deep dark winter water, all thin and in poor condition being super easy pickings leading  to stuffed predators. I started to wonder if this phenomenon has an effect , whether it partially contributes to “transition” time each year.

10 hours ago, rolmops said:

Last weekend we found a similar situation and spent time over “clean” water with no bait and few hooks just to find those hungry fish coming out of winter pattern and lagging behind the bait migration. It was the only way to keep rods moving. Those inside fish are stuffed. 

Edited by Gill-T

I have a log in my fishing diary from the early 90s that says when the alewives are dying in late May, pull the boat and go find another lake to fish or go get some chores done. There had to be an upwelling or something which is normally what causes it - thermal shock. I was up by the lake in Webster on Thursday and it stunk pretty bad. It will all come back as soon as the thermocline sets up. This hot weather must have the lake in transition, I would imagine. If it is, it will just set up that much faster and the early summer bite will be on. Just my .02 dollars. 

Flanman

• Like 2

Dickey and I worked hard this morning but never found Browns.
We trolled 100 to 150 on the way back from Cowsucker looking for Kings with the same results.
Funky, only saw one other boat all morning from Braddocks to Hamlin.
Was really a fun trip. Great conversation with someone I met on this site and all in all a perfect morning, a couple of screaming reels would have been nice but still a fun morning on the lake.

• Like 2

Dickey and I worked hard this morning but never found Browns.
We trolled 100 to 150 on the way back from Cowsucker looking for Kings with the same results.
Funky, only saw one other boat all morning from Braddocks to Hamlin.
Was really a fun trip. Great conversation with someone I met on this site and all in all a perfect morning, a couple of screaming reels would have been nice but still a fun morning on the lake.

Bill (whaler),
Thanks for taking me out and had a great time and good conversation. Hope we can do it again.

Rick

• Like 2