1995 Boat Trailer (Not Galvanized) Rust Integrity Question

Sea Lion

Hi Gang,

I have a 1995 Sea Nymph Trailer that is truly showing it's age.  I'm including two screenshots.  I got my boat out of storage and towed it back home to do my "get my boat ready for the season" kind of day.  Getting it in my driveway I looked at it's Achilles heel and noticed....I was lucky to get it home.  My question is can I do a quick "fix" on this just to shore it up to get it to the water and launched and then see my what my options are.  The "crack" on the first photo happened on the way home from Marion to Penfield.  Again, looking for a quick fix just to get my boat launched and then...can this be repaired or is a 26 year old trailer time for a replacement.   Looking for advice.  

PXL_20210522_180345256.jpg

PXL_20210522_180328597.jpg

I’ve seen guys on here that can weld up a trailer and cost them a few bucks to do it. And they do top notch work. All depends on what side of the fence your standing. If cost isn’t an issue, me, I’d be getting another trailer. Had the same one, 93 seanymph. Took no chances being how many miles I trailered it. I get it if it’s taking it down the back rd to get it in a hoist for the summer, but on 490? Yea no. Got a shorelander up at Krenzers. Tim is great to deal with. Or you may find a used one that could fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's not a hard fix for a decent welder a couple gussets and it'll be stronger than original.

Onlu problem is if it's bad in 1 spot there are definitely others. I hate painted trailers with a passion. I don't understand why manufacturers use them. Well i do but it can't cost that much more for galvanized or aluminium.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah I had one years ago (Holsclaw) that broke right at the ramp in the late Fall and  I had to walk to a marina and had to pay full new price for a used trailer because they had me and knew it. The old one rusted though from the inside and I never saw any sign of it beforehand and it broke in half. Next boat I paid for a galvanized trailer and never looked back.

Edited by Sk8man

It would be easy to fix, but I would take the boat off then go around with a plastic mallet and check everything on the trailer before deciding on a repair or not (you can hear it ring if it is good and thud if it is bad). if its just those two locations it would only take 2-3 hours of work to repair them. 

I would be checking the bottom of any cross pieces and the spring shackle holders.  If it has issues up front on the trailer, you need to make very sure there are not major issues in the back of it where it gets dunked. 

Hey Guys,

Always appreciate the great feedback from this forum.  I was able to get my boat to a local welder and waiting to see the end result.  He was a bit reluctant to take it on due to a liability issue.  I told him, please don't worry.  Should get it back tomorrow or Friday.  I have been scouting for used trailers and they seem to be few and far between.  Not into buying a new one but it may come to that.  I'll post the end result when I get it.  Thanks again to all of you....greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Trailer Drama Update:

Took my trailer to a local Welder named Dave at Drelick's Welding Service right off of Whalen Road in Penfield.  I read good things about them and decided to take my trailer there to get worked on.  Dropped it off on Monday evening and had it back in my driveway on Wednesday evening.  I am beyond delighted with the work Dave did.

Goes in the water.....finally next week.   Thanks for all the words of wisdom in replying to my post.

Take care and TIGHT LINES to all.

Regards,

Bob

PXL_20210526_220323729.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, Sea Lion said:

Trailer Drama Update:

Took my trailer to a local Welder named Dave at Drelick's Welding Service right off of Whalen Road in Penfield.  I read good things about them and decided to take my trailer there to get worked on.  Dropped it off on Monday evening and had it back in my driveway on Wednesday evening.  I am beyond delighted with the work Dave did.

Goes in the water.....finally next week.   Thanks for all the words of wisdom in replying to my post.

Take care and TIGHT LINES to all.

Regards,

Bob

PXL_20210526_220323729.jpg

Cool to hear Drelick's does this kind of thing, he's right around the corner from me and I always wondered what kind of stuff he gets into. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you can find used trailers, trouble is you have to take the old rotted out boat that's sitting on them.... LOL

Hey Guys,
    Always appreciate the great feedback from this forum.  I was able to get my boat to a local welder and waiting to see the end result.  He was a bit reluctant to take it on due to a liability issue.  I told him, please don't worry.  Should get it back tomorrow or Friday.  I have been scouting for used trailers and they seem to be few and far between.  Not into buying a new one but it may come to that.  I'll post the end result when I get it.  Thanks again to all of you....greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1