When to Henderson harbour last week For walleyes, stayed at Henchens  For the week. When out with a charter(Wallaholic)in Chaumont Bay last Sunday.  He told me straight up there was nothing doing other charters he talked to weren't catching any walleye.  It seems the walleye bite is OK early in May but once they move out there gone. he said if you want to go out I'll take you, I said well let's go out because I figure he 'dshow me some good things to do.  I learned some great techniques but nothing was doing, though we did catch some huge smallmouth like 5 pounders.  I fished by myself and Chaumont Bay and Black River but nothing was doing.  The charters out of Henderson were either catching one wakkeye and a couple of northern or no walleye at all.

So I decided to try for lakers and launched out of stoney Creek ( 1st time fishing for lakers). I bought one cowbell and 2 spin n glos. I wouldn't advise launching there because the inlet at the mouth is 2 1/2 feet deep Max.  I need not say anything more about the low Lake level.  I fish out of a 16' open aluminium boat so when it finally Calmed down Wednesday I was able to get out to 150 - 165'. 1st day out there I got one small laker about 10 pounds a steelhead and coho.  I hit the laker at 165' so I buzzed back out there the next day.   Nothing was doing all morning and then I hit 1 at 12:00, 1:00 and 2:00. 16, 19, and 21 lbs. 165'/ down 160.  I was quite happy with that. Anybody says that lakers don't fight I  Disagree, pull a 21 pounder up from a 165', not that easy.  Green and Mountain Dew 5/0 cowbell,  Fly color was something like a hammer green.Hope this might help somebody, good luck out there guys.

20210522_155423.jpg

20210520_112939.jpg

20210520_112648.jpg

Edited by newmike
  • Like 9

It was great to have you out. The bite on the eyes is still a grind with a stray or two here and there. The alewives have showed up in all the bays from Stoney Point light to Tibet’s Point. Browns are hard to come by as well. There still remains a pike bite with some really quality size. Some boats are stumbling across a king or steel head out in the open waters. Pickerel are remaining steady but shallow trolling is getting more difficult as the weeds are up to the surface in the back bays in up to 12 fow. The perch are starting to bite pretty well, we did a couple hundred Saturday and Sunday since everything else is slow right now. The lake trout are big and remains a staple for success for clients to reel in a trophy. Better fishing ahead is what we are looking forward to. The bass are on their beds doing their thing. Only a few weeks until the opener. The Pillar Point Fire department and Henderson will both be hosting Bass/Walleye Derbies on opening weekend so help support our local organizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the walleye disappearing act. With work and low water I got the boat in the water later than usual. Still, mid may is prime time for eyes in Henderson/ Chaumant area. But not this year. Trolled for 4 hours outside C bay in 20 to 40, used spoons, Flicker Minnows of every size and color. Nothing. Marking some good fish but no takers. You're right about the alewives being in. They were all over the surface chowing down on an unlimited supply of gnats.

The other thing I was wondering is if the lake levels, clear water and a sunny day worked against us. Sure is nice to zip across the lake in calm conditions but I doubt the eyes like it much. May need a few waves and overcast.

Gonna try again this weekend. Maybe it is too late. We will see!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well gang our area is one of a trophy fishery and never been a numbers fishery. NYS DEC says the numbers are booming for walleye population and we rely exclusively on natural reproduction. There have been days when everything aligns and we put a double digit limit in the box and that has happened a couple times this season but the time and dues paid can be brutal. At the best of times the very next day and often within the same day they shut down or migrate. They are walleyes and we love them. With the bait in masses here you would think something has to give soon. If you want to come here to catch a trophy it may take a couple of attempts. If you are looking to fill the freezer Oneida and Erie are the target destinations. Good luck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

It’s a large body of water and plenty of area to roam. If you think people keeping their limit is draining the lake think again.  You may have no idea what  has been happening on the Reservations for all these years without any limits because if you did you would realize how many walleyes there are and how successful natural reproduction is happening. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

It’s a large body of water and plenty of area to roam. If you think people keeping their limit is draining the lake think again.  You may have no idea what  has been happening on the Reservations for all these years without any limits because if you did you would realize how many walleyes there are and how successful natural reproduction is happening.