Fishing report 5-23 Cayuga

Started at 5am again out of longpoint. Headed to where I marked bait the day before and put lines out. 75 fow and within 15 minutes put a nice little rainbow in the boat. Fished another hour or so with a few releases and pulled hooks. Got out over deeper water and pulled some lakers. One of which was 10 pounds. Headed back in shallow after that bite slowed down and found some more bait balls and hit some more silver. Pulled a decent fish off as my buddy cranked drag down on accident and popped him. Over all slow day doing 1 rainbow and 6 lakers. Too many releases to count and pulled hooks. Have to figure out how to keep fish pinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I only pull hooks when I use single hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That’s crazy Bc the only fish I lose are fish on treble hooks. Every fish I catch and get to the boat are on a single hook. If I do get lucky enough to catch a fish on a treble hook it’s always hooked in the side of the face and or somewhere in the body which is why I think I pull them. I try and change all my lures to singles and I have much better luck but sometimes I try trebles again.

I only pull hooks when I use single hooks

I might be running my stuff wrong too tho. This is only my second season fishing fresh water. And I taught myself by trial and error and YouTube. I came from offshore Florida keys fishing and you would get laughed off the dock for using treble hooks.

Nice report! Sounds like your picking things up pretty quickly. As far as pulling hooks. I have the same luck with trebles pulling out more often than singles as well. I still stick with the trebles for the most part though because the singles tend to poke right through the eyes and brains of a lot of the smaller silvers. Some day’s it seems a lot of fish are just short striking and there’s not much you can do about it. One thing that comes to mind is the type of release you are using and how easy/hard it is to release the line when getting a hit. Harder the release the better the hook up usually

Agreed with Irish Eyes and will add that for me, enjoying the fight of the fish helps keep them hooked up.  By keeping the drag on the light side and taking time to let the fish play itself out the % of hook ups getting in the boat is higher.  Most of my break offs are fish that are still hot at the back of the boat.  When friends are on board and try to rush the fish in or tighten the drag, they lose them. 

BTW, have always used trebles except for flies which have a single plus a treble trailer 

The issue often is sharpness of the hooks whether treble or single. With trebles the three prongs can work against each other in the hard part of the mouth/lip areas (gums) when pressure is exerted on it unless the hook gets further back in the mouth, The single has the advantage of more easily  going deeper or to the side of the mouth. Orientation of the single hook on the lure, combined with type of hook point (e.g. upward facing point rather than the common downward position long needle sharp Mustad Stainless Siwash hook point). and hook sharpness will seldom lose fish. As mentioned release tension on rigger can be a factor as well as trolling speed. Take a look a some of the salmon underwater videos and notice that they frequently miss and make several attempts so it can also be possible that the fish doesn't actually grab the hook itself or may grab it in a soft tissue area that can break free. It pays to pay attention to small details like hook sharpness and hook orientation. Other than flies and stickbaits (very small trebles that don't present the same problems that large ones might) I have used the #9510xxx Mustad singles 2/0/3/0 for the last 40 plus years and seldom lose a fish.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

:lol::lol: You guys are too much. Yes Mike (s) fishing both derbies  brother and my son with me. I think it may be a tough one but we're up for the challenge. Hopefully get a chance to see both you Mikes out there and good luck to you both:smile: Frogger you may want to check with Admiral Byrd on the donuts he likes to keep his in his live well and then forget and turn the water on :>)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cinnamon fish said:

Live well donuts, wow.  I'm glad you mentioned coffee, gotta bring alot of that!  I'll be out there both weekends, just me and my golden retriever, Finn.  Good luck to all.

Frankie says "Go get them Finn!"

0515211208a.jpg

• Like 1