Sealing transom holes

Wise77

The best way is to not drill them to begin with. Use a transducer board attached with 3M 5200 and then attach the transducer to the board.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

The 3M 5200 will hold the board on with no screws? Is this a wood board or synthetic? I see they sell synthetic boards online.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The 3M 5200 will hold the board on with no screws? Is this a wood board or synthetic? I see they sell synthetic oil line.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5200 will hold with no screws.

The boards are synthetic.

See the link below for an example, it even lists 3M 5200 fast cure as an option to buy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Berts-Custom-Tackle-American-Transducer/dp/B00HL9MN8U

My friend used 5200 to seal a thru hull transducer in his boat. 10 years later, a can of penetrating oil later, after cutting the wire off the top, heating it, and pounding with a sledge hammer it finally came out.

That stuff is nasty.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/295973-can-i-mount-transducer-5200-a.html

7 hours ago, Misdirection said:

Just make sure you scuff the back of the board before attaching and the 5200 is fully cured before launching.

Heating the board with a propane torch till it is glazed is another way to give an adhesive better grip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use SternSaver kits. Had everything you need to adhere the composite board to your transom. Mine have been on for 7yrs so far without issue. 

if you have old holes that need filled run a drill bit in there and see how wet the transom is. Hog out the hole to a larger OD. Then use a counter sink bit to bevel the edge. 

purchase G Flex 2 part epoxy. Mix some up. And inject into the holes with a syringe. Cover with a piece of tape and let it set. G flex will penetrate moist wood and cure rock solid. You can even tap it similiar to marine Tex. 

once set up remove the tape. Sand it down into the bevel you made. And skim coat with Gel Coat. Use emery cloth or wet sand the gel coat smooth. 

you could also just glob 5200 into the hole but it expands out and looks like crap. And it doesn’t really penetrate damp transom cores

Edited by jigstick

• 1 month later...