Looking for opinions on Sonar / GPS units

Well, as we were sorting our new to us boat out, we found the GPS antenna / cable? on the Lowrance LCX 17M was not operational. Being that the display is hard to see in sunlight anyway, we were hoping to get at least a season out of it so we could get a better idea of what to upgrade to.

Do we bite the bullet and get a new TFT color unit or do we spend $2-300 and fix this unit to get us by for the season. Its not a charter so it's not an issue of loss income.

What new combo unit do you recommend? We were thinking at least an 8" display

Suggestions?

We upgraded to the Lowrance LCX-113HD last year and the unit is great. Large 10.4 inch screen can be read easily from anywhere in the boat. If you dont think you need the GPS unit, I believe Billy V still has a Furuno 585 in the classified section on the board. Thats supposed to be a great unit also.

113 would make a nice unit, price is a little high for us right now, but you never know. We need a combo sonar / GPS and we don't have allot of room under the hardtop. I'm trying to keep everything mount above the helm so to keep it out of direct sun.

Does anyone have / used one of the new Lowrance HDS units?

What is the advantage over last years HD units? Lowrance's website is more visual then informative about their new HDS units.

We are thinking about the HDS-8

Does anyone have / used one of the new Lowrance HDS units?

What is the advantage over last years HD units? Lowrance's website is more visual then informative about their new HDS units.

We are thinking about the HDS-8

the new HDS fishfinders have broadband sounder built in.. last yrs models did not.. had to buy broadband as a option.. do yourself a favor and look at the Raymarine A70 as well .. personally i cant wait to get the Lowrance i have off my boat.. either a Furuno or Raymarine will be going on soon!