Lost my father and best friend

Sunday, I lost my father and best friend.  Fred G Giovagnoli. Freddie G, Lookin Good. I had the privilege to fish with him for 49 years.  We started in a John boat on Honeyoe and dragged it out by Webster pier as well.  Fished Hedges, Webster and the river piers.   Got a 16 foot bluefin named Lookin Good.  The thousands of hours on the water. The days launching in the bay on sand and ducking under the bridge.  Pushing the boat over sandbars in the fall. Old school, Applejack, Nolmois, Hoseman, and all the old guys.  Dragging the boat over the ice in-20 degree water to fish Ginna.  Combat fishing the river, perch in the Islands, tuna in the outerbanks.  The hours and the stories.  It can go on for ever.  Next time out with the family take a mental picture.  It’s well worth it.  I am putting some of his ashes in front of shipbuilders.  Need to get his boat up and running so I can take mom and sister out.  I ask one thing.  First trip out every spring. When the cool breeze turns a little warm, The browns are hitting and your one of the only boats out.  Raise your coffee mug,  or beverage of choice, and give a salute to the old man that was my father and best friend.  The laughter will never be forgotten.  

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

I lost my dad at 21, an incredible man who loved to fish.  I carry on his legacy as you will you father's.  Now at 58, My wife, kids, & grandkids all love the pursuit. 

My 19 month old  grand daughter's 1st words-

mama, da-da, nana, & feeeesh(fish)--so I know he would be proud---as will yours.

I'll be out Saturday and a Diet Coke or water bottle will be raised.

Condolences.

Coach

Sorry to hear about Freddie G. I went to the 1000 islands a couple times and fished with him and Arnie and the rest of the xerox guys. He even taught me how to clean fish up there. He was a perch catching machine! RIP Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Sunday, I lost my father and best friend.  Fred G Giovagnoli. Freddie G, Lookin Good. I had the privilege to fish with him for 49 years.  We started in a John boat on Honeyoe and dragged it out by Webster pier as well.  Fished Hedges, Webster and the river piers.   Got a 16 foot bluefin named Lookin Good.  The thousands of hours on the water. The days launching in the bay on sand and ducking under the bridge.  Pushing the boat over sandbars in the fall. Old school, Applejack, Nolmois, Hoseman, and all the old guys.  Dragging the boat over the ice in-20 degree water to fish Ginna.  Combat fishing the river, perch in the Islands, tuna in the outerbanks.  The hours and the stories.  It can go on for ever.  Next time out with the family take a mental picture.  It’s well worth it.  I am putting some of his ashes in front of shipbuilders.  Need to get his boat up and running so I can take mom and sister out.  I ask one thing.  First trip out every spring. When the cool breeze turns a little warm, The browns are hitting and your one of the only boats out.  Raise your coffee mug,  or beverage of choice, and give a salute to the old man that was my father and best friend.  The laughter will never be forgotten.  

Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A wonderful tribute.  Thank you for sharing a small piece of your memories with us.  They surely will live on inside you,  sometimes bringing a smile to your face, and others a tear to your eye, until you meet up with your Dad again.

God Bless you both.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you have a lifetime of great memories to remember him by.  You are blessed,  many people don’t have strong relationships with parents until their later years in life or sometimes never at all.  Remember the reason he started fishing with you at a young age is because he enjoyed spending time with you and wanted to share his favorite activities with you as well. I take my kids fishing every time they ask.
Cheers

Always a great time fishing with you and your Dad.  Many great memories, whether it was fishing in Thousand Islands or Irondequcit Bay.  The best was listening to the banter between my Dad, Arnie Lewis, and Freddie!!!! Miss fishing with the Xerox guys too!!

Tim Lewis (Arnie’s youngest son)

Thanks for all the kind words. I was able to get out for a bit yesterday and have enough for a tiny fish fry.  Will enjoy with some salad from the garden he helped me build.  First time on Ontario will be hard but I know he will always be watching.  I chose an ugly stick and a Evil Eye to be his combo in heaven.  Including obituary below for those that asked.  Remember if your not catching fish you mine as well be “lookin’ good”.  Hence the name of the boat.  

My father passed away  27 years ago

We fished several times 

They never go away. Keep a open seat for your father

I often fish solo but have lots of company

Lol

John

• Like 1