Spoon size of choice??

I’m working on my spoon collection and picked up this great new box from fish usa... I’m pretty new to the game but seems like a lot of salmon fisherman like the Moonshine or mags and Dreamweaver super slim. Watching various YouTube videos it seems like on Lake Michigan they primary run super slim size with occasional mags. I’ve heard the old saying “match the hatch” to size your baits to the actual bait fish the fish are eating at the time... so I wanted to get the experts comments on what’s been your experience on Lake Ontario with size of spoons (regardless of brands) at different times of the year...

Thanks in advance for your comments!IMG_2047.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run mostly Stingers and run them in Stinger, Stingray and Mags.  Some days one works better than the others.  I find the Stingray size works best for all species most of the time.  

I run mostly Stingers and run them in Stinger, Stingray and Mags.  Some days one works better than the others.  I find the Stingray size works best for all species most of the time.  

Thanks gambler. Would you say mags get bit less often but catch bigger fish? Will you always run a slider or stacker off your riggers? Smaller spoon on top?

11 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Thanks gambler. Would you say mags get bit less often but catch bigger fish? Will you always run a slider or stacker off your riggers? Smaller spoon on top?

Mags do not necessarily catch bigger fish.  I run them most of the time on divers.  I even run them for browns.  I run fixed and free sliders on my riggers when running spoons.  I mix the slider spoon size up.  Sometimes the smaller spoon is on the slider and sometimes the bigger spoon (even mags).  

What are your favorite stingray colors? My box doesn’t have enough spoons haha

25 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

What are your favorite stingray colors? My box doesn’t have enough spoons haha

NBK

Gator

Gator UV

Green Glow alewife

Green Glow alewife UV

Tuxedo 

Tuxedo UV

Purple Glow Alewife

Diehard

Diehard UV

Seasick Waddler UV

Froggy Glow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

NBK

Gator

Gator UV

Green Glow alewife

Green Glow alewife UV

Tuxedo 

Tuxedo UV

Purple Glow Alewife

Diehard

Diehard UV

Seasick Waddler UV

Froggy Glow

Those are all great colors and what I use too. I would add Purple Clown.

• Like 1

NBK
Gator
Gator UV
Green Glow alewife
Green Glow alewife UV
Tuxedo 
Tuxedo UV
Purple Glow Alewife
Diehard
Diehard UV
Seasick Waddler UV
Froggy Glow

I think I’m going to go with a combination of the different companies in the different sizes as it seems that each shines within these specialties.

Moonshine Mags
Stinger Stingray
Dreamweaver Super Slim

When buying spoons it is important to find out which speed they can run at. Some perform at 3 mph but suck at 2.3 mph. Super Slims are popular because the perform anywhere between 1.9 and 3.00.

Matching the hatch while fishing at 60 feet down is complicated. that's why your beginning setup has different sizes and depending on which spoons get hit you can adjust your size. Don't over think it,enjoy it!

When buying spoons it is important to find out which speed they can run at. Some perform at 3 mph but suck at 2.3 mph. Super Slims are popular because the perform anywhere between 1.9 and 3.00.
Matching the hatch while fishing at 60 feet down is complicated. that's why your beginning setup has different sizes and depending on which spoons get hit you can adjust your size. Don't over think it,enjoy it!

Very good points, thanks

1 hour ago, ErieBuck said:

NK 28 orange crush is my #1 steelhead spoon by far!! What other colors are your favorites?

I run NK 28's at a down-speed of 2.2 to 3 mph.  The speed range allows me to run stingers in the stingray size. at the same time (for the most part).  I always have NKs in the water.

My favorite colors/patterns:

Black, green/glow strip with a white back

White, blue/pearl strip with a white back

George Bush Pattern with a white back

I am not saying I do not have other patterns and colors but I start with these in the am and adjust as the sun comes up and as I lower or raise the range of depth I am fishing (due to the difference in light penetration).  I always have one of the three mentioned in the water.

As a side note, the older NK blanks are what you want; the newer ones are NOT the same weight and do not run the same next to the older ones.

I run NK 28's at a down-speed of 2.2 to 3 mph.  The speed range allows me to run stingers in the stingray size. at the same time (for the most part).  I always have NKs in the water.

My favorite colors/patterns:
Black, green/glow strip with a white back
White, blue/pearl strip with a white back
George Bush Pattern with a white back

I am not saying I do not have other patterns and colors but I start with these in the am and adjust as the sun comes up and as I lower or raise the range of depth I am fishing (due to the difference in light penetration).  I always have one of the three mentioned in the water.

As a side note, the older NK blanks are what you want; the newer ones are NOT the same weight and do not run the same next to the older ones.

Good point on the old nk 28s, I remember a guy at the marina telling me this. I’ll see if I can pick up some vintage nk-28s on eBay. Interesting the white backs are your go to’s. White backs are underrated

There is great advice given to you here! Not that many years ago Warrens bait shop in Sodus ran old wire line or downrigger cable and hung used spoons from them. They sold the used spoons for a dollar each.

i bought many spoons off of that wire, including several old NK-28’s, I’ve got countless fish on the old NK’s , still have them and they have been repainted twice. I still haven’t found anything that consistently catches more fish.

those and moonshines, mostly mags, are about all I run for spoons.

i try to just target salmon, other spoons for the other species

• Like 1