Painting My Aluminum Boat Floor, Need Help

I am replacing the floor in my Crestliner Sabre cuddy cabin. I'm guessing it has the original wood floor in it, and it needs to be replaced. I bought a sheet of 1/8" thick aluminum plate for it but I need to know how to prep the aluminum plate and what kind of paint to use to give it a non-slip surface. Thanks in advance!

You should start with an aluminum self etching primer. It is usually grey or green. Next pick a color that you like but consider the hot sun and how much it can heat up a metal floor. My suggestion would be a light grey or other pastel. All of this can be done with spray paint. I personally like the Rustoleum spray paints. The cleanest way to do it, is by cutting your floor to the right fit and drilling slightly oversized holes holes because aluminum will expand and contract, lay it in the boat and make sure that it fits. Next take the floor out and spray paint the self etching primer on both sides and let it dry. (30 minutes tops ) Then spray the final color on (2 layers).

It is best to make sure that the aluminum that you use is the same grade as the rest of the boat, just so the parts are equally noble and neither will corrode by electrolysis. Also you should use a bit of M5200 in every screw hole and use stainless screws only. The nonslip part is easy. You can buy a can of non slip material that you sprinkle lightly over the the first layer of paint while it is wet. Another way is using truckbed liner, after you have used the self etching primer. Oops, I forgot to mention that you must check the flotation material to see if it is dry or saturated.

Personally I would continue using wood, but that too has its pros and cons.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

Thanks rolmops! The main floor of the boat already had an aluminum floor installed before I bought the boat. They never got around to replacing the cuddy cabin floor, so I'm using 1/8" aluminum to maintain the same thickness that is on the rest of the boat. I had a local metal supply company cut the sheet for me today, 21" x 53". My color of choice is light gray. I have the Rust-Oleum self etching primer. I'm still shopping around for the right paint.

Edited by Todd in NY