Light penetration

Can anyone tell me if there is a device available to show how deep the disphotic zone would be while trolling...... I need some schooling on this and would like to know more. TIA.

Go online and check an article that was written in a magazine called "In Fisherman" a bunch of years ago . It gives a list of colors and at what depth they are visible from yellow up high all the way down deep to purple.

I appreciate the responses.

Regulator  - I have searched as well and have come up with similar articles.

I have to believe that light penetration has many variables and is highly fluctuating in lake Ontario, which leads me to ask - when exactly is, or even, is there a best time to pull glow spoons vs. UV?  

The color chart and the Go Pro examples possibly should not be taken as "gospel" though. First of all there is actually no such thing as "color" as "objects". Light is broken out in wavelengths and these wavelengths are what is perceived as "colors" by the human brain in our case. It is a perception and not an entity in itself. The brains of different organisms perceive, interpret, and respond to light wavelengths in different ways. A lot of the stuff you see in the way of charts is based on HUMAN perception by the human eye and interpreted by the human brain. Human eyes and brains sample only a limited amount of the total spectrum of light (e.g. we do not directly see UV rays and others). Other organisms with different eye structure, brains, and perceptual systems see and interpret differently than the human eye and may respond differently as well to what they perceive in the light spectrum. Why I am saying this is that a lot of assumptions are often made in terms of other organisms or animals about what they "see" and what they actually respond to so we have to take the common charts with a grain of salt as most are based on what WE see. The Go Pro video is a good example of this. If a deer looked at it it would appear all shades of grey so how about a fish viewing it as they are thought to see UV rays? I'm not trying to be a PIA or smart azz but it is food for thought and a caution that we may be oversimplifying things by making assumptions.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Ska8 that is great input also consider that a go pro is digital and is not a direct exposure of the light but is it's own interpretation and representation its sometimes suprising the difference sometimes when looking directly at something vs a digital image especially In low light conditions. What the video does demonstrate very well is just how much it can change and why changes in conditions like clarity and depth can have such an effect on what works on a given day

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good point. Even the best cameras aren't the same as the human eye which interprets color differently which is why when you take a pic of a stunning landscape or sunset it never seems the same or good as when you were viewing it. The human brain also "fills in" missing pixel information during perception. The analogy with a camera only goes so far and in many respects is inaccurate in terms of process.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SK8 hit the nail on the head.  Fish have a different number of cones in their eyes which allows them to see some of the UV/IR spectrum. I've found Reds & Purples to be effective well below the depths shown on those "visibility" charts.

Tom B.

(LongLine)