Rainbow Trout Help

Hello everyone. I'm itching to get into some rainbows, particularly on Canandaigua and Cayuga. 

The caveat I have is that with the kayak, im not sure I'm getting Deep enough or using the right tools..

*Anyone have thoughts on spoons vs stick baits, flashers and flys. 

*I feel I can use lead core with 5 colors out manageably, are rainbows in that 25ft range, or are they deeper.

Happy Fishing!

You should be good with five colors about now with these water temps. Small to medium spoons and small to medium sticks as well. If you have any Sutton flutter spoons (small sized) will work with the slower trolling speed of the kayak. If specifically going for the rainbows they will hit the smaller flies from small flashers but not all that commonly with the bigger stuff. large streamer flies work better trolled with a little weight (e.g. split shot) a few feet above them.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Thanks 1

Thanks sk8! I don't have any Suttons but but have some bay rat spoons and dream weavers I'd like to try. I'm new to spoons, would you say small is approx 2-1/2 and medium is about 3-1/2"  

Any particular colors or general patterns seem to be more productive?

Yes on the spoon sizes. The reason I said Sutton's is two fold: a) they are silver plated and show up for greater distances in the water than other finishes, and b) they run best at slower speeds than many other spoons which I figured you may be running slower in a kayak. I think the size of the spoon and action of it is more important than the pattern or even color for that matter and silver often works regardless of spoon type. Give whatever you have a try and experiment. I usually change out every 15 or twenty minutes anyway:lol: