Lake trout derby confusion.

I couldn't help but notice the first fish to lead the derby this year was originally marked as a brown then as it got bumped down it fell into the landlock category???? According to the standings it won the landlock division. Is this just a miss print on the site or the yearly mis-identification that takes place in the NLTD?

I'm not sure what the situation was but I spoke with staff the guy running the weigh station and he said they were having a hard time finding any volunteers to man the weigh stations and that is why Samsen didn't have a weigh station. I noticed when I weighed my fish that there didn't seem to be any DEC   people present that used to identify the fish as well as weigh and measure them.....and that may be the source of the problem or others as well.

Thats not the entire story.

I'm not sure what the situation was but I spoke with staff the guy running the weigh station and he said they were having a hard time finding any volunteers to man the weigh stations and that is why Samsen didn't have a weigh station. I noticed when I weighed my fish that there didn't seem to be any DEC   people present that used to identify the fish as well as weigh and measure them.....and that may be the source of the problem or others as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The LL that was first marked as a brown was weighed at Geneva.  
The one thing I don't understand is the Sampson weigh in scenario... if there aren't enough volunteers, they should at the very least come to that conclusion several days before the derby starts and make the announcement to all who have entered the derby.  Not the day of, that's not right.  I will say that I am thankful the derby is still happening and thank those who have worked hard to make it happen.

• Like 1

They have some problems to iron out but in all fairness I think they are trying to keep it going and struggling with staffing. I was on my way to Samsen to weigh my fish the first day that I caught at 8 AM but on the way there was told by a friend that they weren't weighing fish there. Since I was fishing near Dresden I said screw running all the way to Geneva to weigh the fish so I boxed it and never weighed it until 5:30 PM and it lost nearly a pound by then.....kinda the way things go sometimes:lol:

If it’s happing on the regular then maybe they should take some pictures of the fish and send in a group chat of dec and local charter guides.. they do a great job but it is tricky to identify if you don’t do it everyday. I see guys all the time come in the marina that fished for years show me pictures of “browns” or “salmon” and they identify them wrong.

I want you to know these folks are trying to do the right thing.... I just received a call from the derby folks indicating that there was an error and that I am moved to second place in the Seniors division and the guy is actually delivering to my home in one hour the extra $50 and exchanging plaques with me to correct the mistake. I think this speaks volumes for their sincerity and willingness to do the right thing after they caught the mistake.

• Like 6

I want you to know these folks are trying to do the right thing.... I just received a call from the derby folks indicating that there was an error and that I am moved to second place in the Seniors division and the guy is actually delivering to my home in one hour the extra $50 and exchanging plaques with me to correct the mistake. I think this speaks volumes for their sincerity and willingness to do the right thing after they caught the mistake.

It’s because of those doughnuts Les!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Haha 1

Must have been it Mike:lol:

The guy who ran things at the weigh station was the person who just came to my house and I asked him about the fish ID controversy. He said that it was first identified as brown initially and then they questioned it and had some knowlegeable folks look at it and examine it in light of comparison pics of the characteristics and also looked at the roof of the mouth (one row vomarine teeth) and determined it was a landlock so they had a close look at the fish.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

You have to appreciate the volunteers who donate their time and try their best BUT.....this is a pay for play event with thousands of dollars on the line, these mistakes should not continue to happen. How about the people fishing who themselves are not able to tell the difference and have a fish weighed, misidentified and may have placed if it was put in the right category. Fisherman that know will challenge that and probably it gets resolved. As for Nick's comment about his sister and it being weighed by finger lakes club members, they are volunteering but actually are doing it for a free entry to a tournament with a $50 entry fee, therefore they are being paid $50. With that being said why not pay one person at weigh stations that has the proper knowledge to identify these fish and let others volunteer to assist. They can measure, weigh and document but always have one person there to identify. It sounds as though getting enough people to volunteer is becoming a problem so have only one weigh station, do it at Sampson so it's closer to the middle. It would take fewer people and pay one per shift to identify.

The DEC staff were there for many years and did the measuring and Identification and they bailed out a couple years ago from the process and apparently the Sessler owners of Samsen weren't  real cooperative or excited about having a weigh station there.

Sounds like 1 side of a story.

The DEC staff were there for many years and did the measuring and Identification and they bailed out a couple years ago from the process and apparently the Sessler owners of Samsen weren't  real cooperative or excited about having a weigh station there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, thork9 said:

Brown square tail, landloc forked ???

The tail is one clue but not the best indication if the LL is more matured the tail could square out. The best way is to look into their mouth at the  teeth. 

Edited by adesalvo