Lake trout derby confusion.

Probably A Clash between marinas stivers and Seneca lake resorts. I think the derby needs Samson on board to continue in the future. Must have sucked for the people that rented cabins from them and then had to drive up to Geneva to weigh in a fish . It's to bad what a nice weigh station it would of made .

And it is but also the only one I have heard. 

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Probably A Clash between marinas stivers and Seneca lake resorts. I think the derby needs Samson on board to continue in the future. Must have sucked for the people that rented cabins from them and then had to drive up to Geneva to weigh in a fish . It's to bad what a nice weigh station it would of made .

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would agree Brian, I would of been chapped only to find out there was no weighing if staying or ran the boat to the marina. Heck it seemed nobody knew it right until sat am. Why is that? Still waiting to hear the reason for that and the lack of Dec representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In years past DEC staff were present only to gather data. They (in my experience) took great pains to avoid any action that could be interpreted as a "judging" function. So, they were reluctant to settle fish ID disputes. I know of one instance where a fish was misidentified and the DEC person said only " you need to take a second look at that fish".

In years past DEC staff were present only to gather data. They (in my experience) took great pains to avoid any action that could be interpreted as a "judging" function. So, they were reluctant to settle fish ID disputes. I know of one instance where a fish was misidentified and the DEC person said only " you need to take a second look at that fish".

I hear what your saying in regards to disputes like “where was that fish caught” or “was it illegally caught “ etc. your right, they will not get involved in any disputes. What they always did however was ID every fish that hit the length board prior to weighing them. Never ever have I heard DEC say “I’m not sure what that fish is, oh well leave it to the fisherman to make the call”.........

23 minutes ago, Frogger said:

I hear what your saying in regards to disputes like “where was that fish caught” or “was it illegally caught “ etc. your right, they will not get involved in any disputes. What they always did however was ID every fish that hit the length board prior to weighing them. Never ever have I heard DEC say “I’m not sure what that fish is, oh well leave it to the fisherman to make the call”.........

X2 and fishing over 50 years of that derby.

I'm not saying that DEC didn't know what the fish were. Nor was the call left up to the fishermen. I was a director (one of the Trollers Assn reps) of this event for several years and we were well aware of the ID problem. In those days we had many judges from other non profits who were not even fishermen. It has always been a problem to get volunteers on a holiday weekend. I know that when working at the Watkins weigh station it was not uncommon for contestants to misidentify there fish. This at times led to some "interesting" discussions. 

Sounds like there was some confusion on the live leader board, but at closer examination all fish were properly identified. Although I think mine must’ve been weighed wrong. Lol .  I for one would like to thank all the volunteers even if they are not professional experts. I think the derby was a lot of fun and a great success.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Sounds like there was some confusion on the live leader board, but at closer examination all fish were properly identified. Although I think mine must’ve been weighed wrong. Lol .  I for one would like to thank all the volunteers even if they are not professional experts. I think the derby was a lot of fun and a great success.

You have the right spirit Ahab:yes:

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks les

Agreed as well! And for what it’s worth, like mentioned, the volunteer piece must not go unnoticed. The part that really bothers me is the fact an opportunity to see what’s coming from the lake, whether bad or good, is missed by DEC? Show support, get in the game, let people know what your doing about it. You had an audience. To me it’s the most important time to educate and support.

• Like 1