replacing rollers on trailer

rickv0315

I have a 24' Thompson, its a pretty big boat, hard top and all. I need to replace some of the rollers in trailer. The problem is I don't think I want to put boat in water to do it as some of the rollers are completely gone and I don't want to damager the hull if I can help it. Previous owner put a piece of wood where the rollers should be with a rag over the wood.

My question is is would it be that much trouble to try to raise boat up off of trailer to change some of these rollers out or do I just need to launch it and get it off trailer?

1 hour ago, Earl28 said:

If your not comfortable doing it yourself go to a marina and ask them to put it up on stands for you. Then fix the trailer.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes I thought of that too. Just wondering, lots of videos of guys doing but with smaller boats. 

I had to do a couple roller replacements on a 19' runabout i/o on a  Caukins trailer once. I did it my driveway and never moved the boat or trailer.  All I did was use a floor jack with a block of wood on the chime on one side and raise the boat a couple inches off the roller enough to pull the old roller off and install the new one. Just do it one roller bank at a time. You may need two floor jacks spaced out on one side depending which rollers you need to change. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stinger said:

I had to do a couple roller replacements on a 19' runabout i/o on a  Caukins trailer once. I did it my driveway and never moved the boat or trailer.  All I did was use a floor jack with a block of wood on the chime on one side and raise the boat a couple inches off the roller enough to pull the old roller off and install the new one. Just do it one roller bank at a time. You may need two floor jacks spaced out on one side depending which rollers you need to change. 

Yes I may be going that rt. I would probably be using 2 jacks if I did. I see you're a local guy. Tight lines!

1 minute ago, rickv0315 said:

Yes I may be going that rt. I would probably be using 2 jacks if I did. I see you're a local guy. Tight lines!

If you can jack your trailer to change tires then you should be able to change the rollers.  Good luck with it neighbor.

• Like 1