Setting up Trailer Hooks

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a package of trailer hooks for my buzz baits, but am having a problem figuring out how to properly connect them!

The surgical tubing that comes with the hooks is really where the confusion is. I thought that the tubing would have had a smaller diameter and would have just gone in-front and behind the trailer hook on the regular hook. The tubing's diameter is not small/snug enough to do this. Now I am thinking that I should just slip a small piece of tubing over the eye of the trailer hook and pierce this on to bait's hook. This option seems odd since it does not give the trailer hook the freedom of sway on the bait. Is this correct?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Happy fishing,

--Joe

You guessed it right. Small piece of tube over the eye of the trailer hook, then pierce the tube/trailer hook eye with the hook. The trailer will move a little, but it prevents the hook from getting spun too far around.

Here's a pic of the trailer Hooks I have if it helps you to see it

if you don't like the tube you can Dip them in plasti Dip and can buy it from home depot thats how mine were done

gxH6gyA.jpg

Joe the plasti Dip will last for years, the one thats on the spinner bait needs to be redone but that one was done about 10 years ago and turned soft, I just grabbed the first one out of the box that had a trailer hook on it . And they really do work when they are biting short and can make a bad day into a good day and the treble hook one's i use on Jigs for when Walleyes are hitting short . Good luck and keep us posted on how they work for you .

i actually like a totally free-swinging hook. usually i will place the trailer hook on first and then slide on a small, but big enough, piece of tube to keep the hook from coming off.

it's just annoying to me when the tube is placed around the trailer eye; sometimes the hook is too snug and gets stuck in the wrong position.