DEC information

Brian explained how the trawls work so we understand them a lot better.  Very great info.  The trawls report will be released sometime in July according to Brian.  He did say the die off is from a very large year class of 1 year old alewife and its very common.  He also stated there was a bump in the smelt numbers along the entire South shore.  

• Like 1

That is really good news Brian (except maybe that the smelt prey on perch eggs):smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Brian Weidel from the USGS gave a very good presentation and is an excellent, knowledgeable speaker.  Lots of graphs showing past trawl results and variety of baitfish. This years numbers should be interesting. Not so sure that the die off we’re seeing is that common. Haven’t seen anything like this in recent memory

14 hours ago, UNREEL said:

Brian Weidel from the USGS gave a very good presentation and is an excellent, knowledgeable speaker.  Lots of graphs showing past trawl results and variety of baitfish. This years numbers should be interesting. Not so sure that the die off we’re seeing is that common. Haven’t seen anything like this in recent memory

2012 was the last die off like this.  2012 was also a huge year class.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

2012 was the last die off like this.  2012 was also a huge year class.  

Thanks Brian. Vaguely remember that. 2012 is  outside of my recent memory range.     :rofl:

13 minutes ago, UNREEL said:

Thanks Brian. Vaguely remember that. 2012 is  outside of my recent memory range.     :rofl:

Feel free to ask about the past.  I'm still young enough to remember!  :rofl:

• Like 2