Deans Cove - Cayuga Lake

Went to Deans Cove for the first time this past Thurs.[April 2]. Have usually put in at T. Park but my fishing buddy wanted to try some place new. We are in the process of putting time in on the lake and are learning how to fish it.

Were we too early?? Except for fish out from the launch. the area around that looked like the dead-zone in a cellphone ad.

I'd say maybe a little early yet for the northern part of the lake. This time of year most are targeting browns in the southern portion of the lake. I'm sure others will say different however my experience has been the northern portion of the lake doesn't really pick up until later on in May.

DAN

I've never had much succes on the surface up there at this time of year but if you like laker action then you'll need to look deeper for them. Try looking over deeper bottom . The lakers seem to move around so day to day success in any one area could be spotty. Typical laker techniques should produce some fish.

This time of year I have done well off the point North of Deans Cove. There is a house with a lawn about the size of a football field...straight out from that in about 90 FOW is good all year round. It drops off deeper there and that is the northern-most part of the lake that is deep. North of that point is all shallow (40 Fow Max or there about).

Straight across from Deans Cove there is a cove in front of Wells College...the North end of that cove is great for Browns and the South end has some nice holes/ledges for lakers.

Hope this helps!

Just north of Long point and south of stony point there is a mean drop off or ledge that is always loaded with fish. It is less than 1/4 mile off shore. That ledge runs parallel with the shore line north and south for a ways and begins to drop at about 50 foot to 80-90' pretty fast. My info may be a bit foggy as to I have not fished it much since I discovered the Salmon on the big O. There is a nice drop right off Sheldrake point on the west side of the lake that holds Browns also. that would be South of Deans cove a ways. The "lawns" as it is referred to by the locals is the huge lawn that the previous post mentioned north of Deans cove. It is further north than GOOSE WATCH winery which you can see. I have always done well with the landlocked salmon there. There is a great horseshoe shaped spot further north in front of the red jacket yacht club on the west side also. that spot can be tricky as it is a really fast and tight spot to fish. It holds some nice browns however.

Z' is a little jealous because his wife made him get rid of his blow-up dolls and because they meant so much to him I held on to them for him.

When he found out that I was using them (not the way he was 10.gif) as boat buddies he was concerned that maybe I'd get a fish hook into them or something.

So Chowder I really don't want to go into much more detail on a public forum. After all, Z' is my buddy and I don't want to embarrass him. If you PM me I may share a few more details with you in private. 17.gif

Well,well,well."Capt.Too Many Rods" has finally let my secret out.HOWEVER....Mike "Too Many" has a SECRET too.Cyn and I know what it is.This "Perp" is also our friend so no in reporting in here......Capt Mike...Good luck with EVERYTHING in 09'.....Z & C

I never knew about the "two rod" rule until about 3 years ago. I was out with my dad on a south-troll in front of Wells College on a nice summer night. The sun was on the horizon and who do I see coming up behind us? Mr Deter and his mate in the Park Police Boat. He overtook us on the Port side with his binoculars in hand, crossed over in front to the starboard side and dropped back next to us to give the "Pull your lines in" command. We had both riggers stacked and a dipsey off the side. He proceeded to explain that we were only allowed 2 a pc as I scolded my Dad for having HIS 3rd line in the water. :lol: That didn't work too well though as he wrote us BOTH a ticket! :devil:

I guess I need to start reading that short novel they hand out with the licenses! :$

That law seems a bit ridiculous, the Warden seems to hang around Long Point quite often. I've seen boats there that look like a porcupine with the number of rods hanging off the side.

Another area that they prowl on is Deans' Cove I know guys that have been nailed for doing a dastardly thing like cleaning fish in the lake. Must be an area where fishing criminals hang out.

Your turn Z

Hi Frisco....I've heard that unlawful trollers frequent the waters south of Long Point.There is another place that is on the west shore where the lawbreakers gather.I beleive its called Bum's Beach.We'll let you know if we have any sightings of the PERP in question......maybe he won't be on the water as much as he thinks.Have a Happy Easter....Z & C

Sounds like Deans Cove is an interesting place to fish, if not for the fish, but for the other fishermen.

Reading some of the posts I couldn't help think about the Pirates off of the Somalia coast. I'll be watching my pole and for RPGs.

When I was there two weeks ago, my truck was the only one there. I thought it was kind of secluded. I thought it odd to see a police car patrol the lot twice. Maybr there is some facts behind the stuff I have been reading!!

Hey Youarenuts,

I was up to Dean's Cove a couple weeks ago. Wacked a 30 incher right out of the shute. We turned North and fished up to that point. They were hitting so well we had to go into shore and hide behind a tree to change lures. Had best luck with a One-Eyed Mcgee. :clap: PM me and we'll hook up sometime.