Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby

Hopefully they took some scales to help determine age. Look like tree rings under the microscope. Will tell a lot of history in that fishes life time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was told when they aged our laker scales are not very accurate. Otoliths are the most accurate way. I took the head from our laker after the taxidermist took it off and got it to the DEC. The taxidermist has to be careful not to damage the otoliths when the head is removed.

I was told when they aged our laker scales are not very accurate. Otoliths are the most accurate way. I took the head from our laker after the taxidermist took it off and got it to the DEC. The taxidermist has to be careful not to damage the otoliths when the head is removed.

Yea, I don’t think he’s gonna chance taking the head off, scales would be the next best thing right?

The reason I mentioned the fin clips is that if present they can be checked with diary information and an estimate made about age when stocked vs current size etc. better than nothing if the other better methods are not possible. Sometimes clips aren't present even on stocked fish (e.g. if missed when doing the clipping and it happens) but most years they are clipped prior to stocking and especially back then.

Edited by Sk8man

On 6/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, Frogger said:

Yea, I don’t think he’s gonna chance taking the head off, scales would be the next best thing right?

A good taxidermist will not use the head on that laker to do the mount.   Skin mount or replica, the head should not be used on the final product.