Mupped Rigs

What have been some successful spoon colors for running mupped rigs? I know some people like running the same color with both the cheater and main spoon, and some people like to run different colors.

What have been some good colors/combinations on your boat?

Rob, touched on a couple of mine. Another being the Silver Streak black magic. The mini black magic has taken kings at times when all other spoons were cold. These can be sometimes hard to find. When I come across them in a tackle shop I'll pick up a few extra. I have not only used these as a mupped rig but as sliders as well. Very good spoon.

For steelies I have used a big Doctor spoon in silver above an NK28 of green or blue hues, or above another Doctor spoon in chartreuse five of diamonds. Have had them strike the big silver Doctor often on the top.

Pq1lXMBJ.jpg

Doctor In Firetiger

One of the best spoons for a wide speed range. If you are unsure of what speed to troll, these are the best all round spoons for speed experimentation. Wide sweeping action, lots of flash. I used them casting for Northern pike for years and decided to try one for an attractor on a mupp rig and discovered a new secret weapon for Lake "O"...Well not so secret now...TRY it...you'll LIKE it ;)

Mark

Chinook-

I have heard the black magic spoons are hard to find. The way they are described on the oak popular spoon webpage is a little different than how Silver Streak makes them. Which would you prefer if I could not find any in stores and I am going to make the spoon myself? thanks

Troy, you are correct. There are a couple versions of the black magic. I have used them as well on various occasions. D.W. has the Tracker black magic as well #0126, which has had its moments. That is along the line of what is listed on the Oak site. The one I make mention above is the Silver Streak # 122 as listed on the Wolverine Tackle web site. Again, I like the mini in this blade. I'm divulging a tip here, but this is what this site is for. When the fishing gets tough at times, I'll run a bait set of these in the two sizes. For whatever reason the mini gets picked off 2 or 3 times to 1 compared to the 28 size. As far as taping them up, you could get the black / silver cup, smooth blank and gold tinge tape. Not sure but Captains Cove may have this. Running a bait set at times has often turned the trick on a number of occasions, rather than just throwing a hodge podge of spoons down.This is often an area where some, such as those just starting out need to pay attention to details. We all have had those moments when the targets are overly aggressive and it seems they'll hit whatever is presented to them. It is when the fishing gets tough, which often happens, that small details put the extra fish in the boat. Having said that, this set has proven itself to me thru the years. -Duane

Stan, absolutely no need to apologize. You have my curiosity peaked now. Looking at the page I have marked, at the top of the page it kind of highlights the 3. If they in fact incorporated that, it would be the #3122 as you made mentioned possibly on the packaging. I haven't had to purchase any for some time now, for I have a decent supply. So maybe if someone else could chime in maybe just to clarify.-Thanks again Stan for your follow up- Duane

Legacy- do you use DW, Stinger, or another brand of kevorkians? i know the DW and Stinger are different; the DW being green/orange and the Stinger being purplish/red.

When people mention kevorkians in fishing reports- I am never sure which model they are talking about. I have never used a DW kevorkian, but I have used the stinger model and have had moderate success with it.

You can run anything or color that is working. I usually run matched pairs and some days I will run 8 of the same spoon. Black Magic is a good bet. Keep in mind you will catch doubles on one rod from time to time. I have had it happen several times a season. The best was a couple years ago with a 28# and 19# king on the same rod. G.Loomis rod with 20# big game. Both in the boat and scooped in the same net!! Great memory.

HM

Speaking of mupped rigs; What is a popular distance for leader lengths on cheaters, feet behind the ball on the target spoon, and the distance in heigth between the two?

the oak says 10-12' feet for the target, 6' for the cheater, and 5' between the two on the rigger cable. Is that a good place to start or does anyone use different numbers?