4 hours ago, charb said:

Thinking about attaching some braid to my wire and running a slide diver any thoughts?

I do something similar but clip my dipsey onto the braid and then remove it as I'm reeling the fish in just like you would do with an in-line planer board. Seems to work well, tried slide divers but the lack of an accurate depth chart and the issues I had with the divers not sliding down the braid led me to my current setup. Also makes rod storage a lot easier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I plan on experimenting with slide divers as well... I think the concern would be depth they can achieve compared to regular dipsey with a mag ring which is what I use now.  180-200 can get to 100 ft.  I know they sell bigger rings and a weight for the slide divers but not sure how deep they get.  If anyone knows please post!  

I consider slide divers and mag divers two different "animals" the slide diver you use for a stealthy presentation away from the boat, turbulance, and noise while the mag (Deeper diver in my case) is used to achieve  depth more consistently. For the deep presentations I use the Deeper divers and for suspended stuff higher in the water column I use the sliders.  I think i have mentioned it before they are somewhat different "tools" in the toolbox so they may be better at one thing vs. another. Just easier and more predictable to use them this way I think. Down deep stealth may not be as important than in the higher ranges of the water column. Again, just an opinion.

Edited by Sk8man

3 hours ago, ErieBuck said:

So you don't think it's possible to get deep-er and stealthy at the same time?   Or are you saying stealth doesn't matter all that much down deep?  Thanks Sk8man

"stealth doesn't matter all that much down deep". Others may disagree but it seems true even with riggers in my experience. The deeper you go the less you have to worry about stealth in my view. While in the upper levels of the water column and in shallow water it can be critical

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Talking about the lead from the back of the diver to the lure.
Assuming circumference of the diver and weight distribution is equal the depth achieved should be very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

A diver is a diver. Lead length has nothing to do with achieving depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Um yeah, don’t understand your point. No one said lead length had anything to do with depth.
Was talking about achieving depth with a slide diver... not the lead

Um yeah, don’t understand your point. No one said lead length had anything to do with depth.
Was talking about achieving depth with a slide diver... not the lead

A slide diver has different characteristics than a standard diver that makes it not achieve the same depths without adding their weights and rings

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Assuming you are fishing deep get the performance pack which replaces the 4oz weight with a 7oz weight and adds a ring to get it to a magnum dipsy size.

Assuming you will be using using slide divers as your high diver, turn the weight to a “4” setting, which is to the side (or end of the weight).

On a “4” setting, you can get a 4 to 1 ratio of line out to depth. For instance, in 40’ of water, 160’ of line will result in a bouncing diver. So, you would then do a 4 to 1 ratio minus 10’ to have it very close to bottom. (150’ line out). All of this at a 2.5 Speed at the ball.

If you are especially nervous with bouncing divers, just go 3 to 1 and see how you do. Your risks would be a lot lower for tangles. At that point, if your low diver takes a strike, go to a 4:1 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

with the different amount of variables (spoons, flashers ,meat rigs )it would be almost impossible to get to a one size fits all answer if one really wants to get a base line why not go out to the lake and spend sometime with your setups and do some real time investigating  bring a pad and record different secanarios ,as far as stealth time and a place right?at times when we are pulling a flasher twinkie and meat head how stealthy is that?i dont  think the leader length on the  flasher .will add or subtract from that in skinny water different story we try to run slide divers as a rule but also run snap weights dont be afraid to try chinook divers as well we are still learning them but retrieval is definately a plus good luck

• Like 1

The Deeper divers will achieve greater depth with less line out than most other divers (about a 1 1/2 to 1 ratio at 2.2 or so when set at zero. I have bounced bottom in 155 ft of water with less than 300 ft of wire out at 2.2 set on 1 before on the Fingers.  If I want to run deep that is what I use but it doesn't account for strong currents either such as those often experienced on Lake O and sometimes on Cayuga or Seneca.  Slide divers are not nearly as good at achieving depth and why bother with all the additions to achieve it when another "tool" can do the job better. Longer leads down deep can potentially create more slack and crappier hook-ups I think when run down deep. Again just an opinion but maybe something to think about.

• Like 1

Joe makes a good point. The Chinooks do get down pretty good (e.g. #5) and they do have that advantage of less resistance in the water. I have them in my arsenal as well as the others.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1