Currents

Getting tangles on riggers rods and can't even run dipseys. Seems to be heavy current pulling one side or the other on my sets. Some days worse than others. Obviously I'm relatively new to trolling ontario. Catching alot of fish but yesterday had too many tangles. Any advice?

Getting tangles on riggers rods and can't even run dipseys. Seems to be heavy current pulling one side or the other on my sets. Some days worse than others. Obviously I'm relatively new to trolling ontario. Catching alot of fish but yesterday had too many tangles. Any advice?

More input. Lol. What weights are you running on your riggers. Wire dipseys? Do you tangle only on a single course or any course Speed ? Boat handling is a big factor in preventing tangles.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Running 12 ponders . Even put wingers on my 2 riggers off the sides. Tried my wire rods with magnum dipseys on 3 setting.  Had to pull them in cause one or the other would get into rigger cables. Just fishing lakers now so 2 rods works fine but would like a more elaborate spread when the salmon get in. Also 2.0ish just off bottom in 155 if that helps . Thanks.  

Maybe leave off the wingers.   I run 2 riggers off each corner with mag dipsys on wire and have never had them tangle.  Stackers tangle every now and then but never a dipsy even on a 1 setting. 

Edited by wrinklestar
  • Like 1

Pull riggers with wingers before letting out dipsey tough to get dipsey by rigger cable

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks. Just to be clear wire dipseys not getting tangled but doesn't seem to be spreading.  Yes they are set to the correct side. Wire is just rubbing on rigger cable. I've fished shallower on smaller lakes with no current and braid dipsey rigs are way off to the sides. As far as riggers go one of my back cables would always be running at an angle toward the other one even on a long straight run. It wasn't total chaos but had more than one laker come in with the other line wrapped.  

I think some shark type or torpedo weights run as they aare would help out your problem. The old style pancake weights had that same sort of problem.

• Like 1

Running 12 ponders . Even put wingers on my 2 riggers off the sides. Tried my wire rods with magnum dipseys on 3 setting.  Had to pull them in cause one or the other would get into rigger cables. Just fishing lakers now so 2 rods works fine but would like a more elaborate spread when the salmon get in. Also 2.0ish just off bottom in 155 if that helps . Thanks.  

I hope not 12# pancake weights. They take on a life of their own in currents. I had a pair of 13# pancakes. Sat in my cellar for years finally sold them hope the new owner knows lots of swear words

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Where are your releases attached? If attached to the weights it can alter the direction what area of the lake are you in there are times when you can only travel in certain directions especially fishing that far down if your dipsey wire is rubbing your rigger cable you may need to adjust position of rodholder relative to rigger

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Blacks releases off rigger. 12 inch snubber between that and ball. Not pancakes no. .Regular cannon weights.  Also 10 foot dipsey rods at 90°. Riggers run good majority of the time but occasionally things get wierd. I assume current is playing a role and probably not running as straight as I think I am on rougher days . 

Yes there are some crazy currents that happen out there and they will effect cannon ball weights when you get then deep. It was mentioned above that shark style and torpedo weights will track much better. There are some guys on this site that make both styles and I highly recommended them