Question on setting up new lead core rigs

Hey, quick question from a newbie troller.  I'm hoping somebody has a similar or identical set up.  I want to run a couple of rods with lead core off the back of Followed The Waves.  My rods and 18 pound lead core line were delivered today and I'd like to get spooled up before I get to the lake.  The real is a Cabela's Depth Master III 20 (DM III 20).  Looks like line capacity (presumably for standard monofilament) for 18 pound line is 230 yards.  I bought 2 rods and reels and two 100 yard spools of lead core.  Should I put some backing on the new reel before the lead core?  I wasn't sure how much thicker the lead core was and how it relates to the reel's capacity.  Thanks for any help!

Addendum:  The 18 pound lead core I purchased is .025" in diameter and I found this link which says 18 pound fishing line is .017" in diameter, so the lead core is about 32% greater in diameter---I'm just not sure how it factors into my reel's line capacity… 

Joe

Edited by Followed The Waves

I have same setup.  But #30 reel so more room for mono.  I have a good 300 yds of mono (20lbs) and 4 colours of lead core on one rod and 6 colours of lead core on the other.  I then run about 20 ft of Flurocarbon leader (15 lbs) to swivel...

Newbie also, but so far this year those rods have caught more for me that downrigger or dipsy diver...Probably need to learn more on using de dipsy and downrigger before drawing any conclusions

I should have mentioned that I will be fishing Seneca only.  I'm guessing I wouldn't need anything more than 15 pound test as a backing?  I'd like to do it on the cheap but I'd like to do it just once.  Braid?  Mono?  I have 10 pound fluorocarbon for a leader…

I echo running braid for a backer.  If your fishing walleye or finger lakes, 200-300' of backer will do (just cross your fingers you don't snag). 

You're not going to be able to fit all that lead on a 20 size reel.  I had a depthmaster 30 that barely held 7 colors.

In your position, I'd consider putting on only 5 colors on each, using drop weights and adding as much backer as possible.  It'll likely only be a few hundred feet though.  Id save the other spool of lead for down the road.

I put this post in the "Tackle and Techniques" section a couple months ago. It was for wire dipsey setup but the same applies to lead core.

If you are going to spool a couple reels the easiest way to get a full spool on all is to first spool one of the reels with 1000' wire then top load the backer until it fills the spool. Now attach the backer to the other reel and wind it all on paying attention to the amount of backer so you'll know how much backer to start with on the other spool(s).

Leadcore on Seneca 300 yds. of 30 lb braid as backing is plenty for running with or without boards. I would imagine it would fit as the 30 lb braid is pretty thin diameter. All my reels are bigger than the 20's though but I have room to spare on them. If all ten colors won't fit use fewer colors and snap weights to get down.

Thanks to everyone for the help!  Nick, I'll even throw in a bag of Martin's famous beef jerky.  Finally broke the ice on Seneca Friday morning with a laker, salmon, rainbow, and only one lamprey.  The laker and LL came on the lead core and the rainbow hit a dipsey/spoon.

64511363518__27886A10-18FA-456D-A592-7D6AF53EFB92.jpg

• Like 1

Nick, thanks---I had a good teacher. :yes:
I've been looking around for one or two of those 30° gimbal mounts that fits in my stern rod holders.  I can't find anything that Cannon makes but Bert's manufactures these.  Price doesn't look too crazy bad and I think the ratcheting rod holders run around $80 each.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!